Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU nRewards Secured - Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU nRewards Secured - Update: Approved

Since my wife is an AU on my Discover I had discussed her getting a card and had her apply for the nRewards Secured card while talking to the new member rep on the phone.  We had $500 transferred to her savings and had the application submitted.  The lady on the phone (very nice by the way) said that it's now in pending status which she said was normal and that we should have an answer back in a few hours. 

She was turned down for one of the unsecured cards which is understandable.  We are 3 months post DC from our BK7 and are just looking to rebuild our credit with good financial institutions.  We started with Discover and have heard very good things about NFCU so we want to establish a relationship with them.

Would there be any reason she could be turned down?  Income is good, DTI is good.  We are hoping with responsible use we can get it unsecured in 5-6 months and apply for one of their unsecured cards.

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: NFCU nRewards Secured

I was approved four months post discharge so I don’t see why she wouldn’t be. I was unsecured at the five month mark with a credit limit increase. I’m too chicken to app for a new card just yet. I feel like NFCU is being so good to me and I don’t want to ruin it.

i think one thing that helped me is the amount of charges I put on it but I pay it off weekly.  I don’t let more than my $7.99 Hulu charge post as a balance at the end of the statement cycle. 

Check your our savings account and if the $500 is ‘hidden’ then that’s a good indication that she’s approved. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  Status still shows Review in Process.

Our plan for this card is to put our natural gas bill autopay on it, plus use it for gas for both vehicles and pay it off every month.  We've been doing this with our Discover card for all of our other recurring payments and it's made managing our budget a heck of a lot easier.  Our natural gas company doesn't take Discover however.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure of the current reason. Just wait the 91/3 on the secured card and app for a second card. They'll hook you up big time as long as you've been treating the card good. I got the secured card with a 550ish score. Apped 4 months later when my Fico9 was 609ish and they gave me 10k. Navy rocks.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still in Review in Process status.  Smiley Sad

The lady at NFCU said this should only take a couple of hours and that was over 6 hours ago.  Is this a bad sign? 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometime overnight it was approved! Thanks everyone!
Message 6 of 9
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sometime overnight it was approved! Thanks everyone!

Congrats! Well done! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU nRewards Secured - Update: Approved

congrats on the approval. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.