Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU “strange” CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU “strange” CLI

So, I did a thing. Requested a CLI on my NFCU CR, sl 2100, requested an even 6000. Got a "review" message for 24-48 hours. About 36 hours later, I decided to hit hhe chat and "speed" things along. Got the "you've reached the max unsecured limit.. blah, blah, blah". Hit the phones, talked to a CSR, and got approved for the 4K "covid special" I've been hearing about. Now, the strange part... I asked on my CR 2100 card, but got the 4K CLI put on my 25K flagship, bumping me to 29K! Uh??!! I mean I'll take it as both are eligible for a CLI but I wanted to sp my CR to at least 10K. When can I request another CLI for my CR? The disparity in SL between both cards is "killing" me.

Now for the DP (I know we LOVE those)

TU 9 721

agg UTI 11%
UTI on CR 28%
UTI on Flagship 4%
Inquiries on TU (too many)

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: NFCU “strange” CLI

Just came in to say congrats on the CLI!

Message 2 of 21
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your NFCU CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @coreyb80 

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Can you tell me what the 4000.00

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I did a thing. Requested a CLI on my NFCU CR, sl 2100, requested an even 6000. Got a "review" message for 24-48 hours. About 36 hours later, I decided to hit hhe chat and "speed" things along. Got the "you've reached the max unsecured limit.. blah, blah, blah". Hit the phones, talked to a CSR, and got approved for the 4K "covid special" I've been hearing about. Now, the strange part... I asked on my CR 2100 card, but got the 4K CLI put on my 25K flagship, bumping me to 29K! Uh??!! I mean I'll take it as both are eligible for a CLI but I wanted to sp my CR to at least 10K. When can I request another CLI for my CR? The disparity in SL between both cards is "killing" me.

TU 9 721

agg UTI 11%
UTI on CR 28%
UTI on Flagship 4%

@Anonymous wrote:

TU 9 721

agg UTI 11%
UTI on CR 28%
UTI on Flagship 4%

Covid Special is? Thank you!

Message 6 of 21
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TU 9 721

agg UTI 11%
UTI on CR 28%
UTI on Flagship 4%

Congratulations @Anonymous ...

IMO I would take the SP CLI to the Flagship and run... run away quietly.

I am curious, how long has it been since you apped for the Flagship?

As for the CR, you received the "Max Unsecured Limit" from Navy.  I would give a stab at waiting a bit longer and increasing payment history with which in turn could increase your internal score they use in their lending decisions.   When the Flagship's new limit appears on your reports it should help to lower your utilization and place you in a better position.

Time... time is one necessary ingredient that is needed but what amount is truly unknown my friend.  You already know that you can come back another day (...to save the day) for a CLI.

I hope most of that made sense, I am just mentally exhausted this morning.  

Message 7 of 21
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! Can you tell me what the 4000.00

...Covid Special is? Thank you!

@Anonymous   Covid Heart Special is?

Since at least sometime in early 2020, when Navy Federal receives and grants a request for a credit limit increase (CLI) of $4,000 or above that amount, they have been issuing increase of no higher than $4,000 and somehow many member here on this forum have dubbed it the Covid Heart Special.

It may seen odd to many people while at the same time many of us are odd!  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Credit4Growth , you made sense😃.

I am taking that 4 K CLI in the Flagship and running with it. Thing is, the CR is my 1st card with NAVY, hence the one with the longest history. It started with 700.00, 3 statements later (In June 2020) got increased to 2100. Got the Flagship in June 2020 as well @25K. Since then, haven't asked for any CLIs on both cards. Decide to request on the CR, since the limit is a lot lower then the Flagship. 
Thinking about it, I use the Flagship A LOT more than my CR. The highest  balance my CR have seen is maybe 1K, whereas my Flagship highest bal has been 7300. Curently, my bal in the CR is 599(28%) whereas my bal on the Flagship is 986.00 (4%). Don't know if that played a role or not. 
Like you stated, I'll wait a couple of months and try again on the CR.

Thanks for your advice

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, the granted me a total of 4900 cli over 2 cards last month and 0 on my third card.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.