cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU =yes! & Penfed = maybe??? MyFico people = Yes, big yes awesome, thanks!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU =yes! & Penfed = maybe??? MyFico people = Yes, big yes awesome, thanks!

first I want to say thank you , thank you, thank you to all the myfico people here. your advice and data has helped me and still helping me reqch my credit goals to help with getting where I want to be with my credit and scores (and many others too).

now to the discussion;
NFCU , I love them ! big 2 thumbs up to them always nice and great knowledgeable customer service.
Penfed, well confusing and disappointing in their website, checking account setup and can’t find the fees amount ( got to have $500 daily to not get charged fees) , got logged out when applied for CC.

I joined NFCU in may, got an auto loan from NFCU the same day, yes Awesome. And got NFCU CC in august.
and last week I hit the day 91 (well realy was day 93 ) & 3rd statement. so yes I so went for a CLI on it and it was denial immediately. ok , I said at 45% total utilization for all cc combined and at 45% on the nfcu cc. decided to wiat to get the explanation letter. 3-4 says later I got it and it said denial was because “ you are at maximum unsecured credit with NFCU “.
Ok, I understand that, that’s fine I’ wait 6months or so and try for CLI again. then reading here about NFCU and the same max credit and got a another card anyways. I thought ok, maybe. so yes I applied for another card (it took me an hour which one to go with from nfcu the flagship or more rewards amex) didn’t care to pay annual fee for flagship although I like it a lot. may product change in he future or as a third card when that time may come . so went for the nfcu more rewards amex. Guess what ?!
instant approval $20k. . I truly thought wow, and laughed and said NFCU thats crazy , I love you NFCU. denial and then approved.
NFCU is just so great. I really like their products, savings, checking, cc , not to mention they have the absolute best customer service.
and I want to switch to them for my mortgage ( was thinking nfcu or penfed for my mortgage ).

so same day I signed up / applied for penfed membership and savings. and then CC and cc went into 24-48 hr review by loan officer.
finally today I received an email saying denied for cc.
reasons given, I thought was odd . well because othe CU/banks have approved me (most was with lower scores). I understand penfed has different processes for approvals and denials. and I am not going to get approval every time,
but wow that was disappointing. and absolutely no emial or phone call from penfed to ask me questions on my application, and the reasons they had.
but thats ok I will maybe try again in the future with penfed for cc. not sure now if I want a checking account with penfed. I perfer not having to pays fees , as I perfer having that money earning better money somewhere else or paying my other things.
filled out their survey for my penfed experience and disappointing experience especially the website and fees and not finding what the amount of fees was and menu (or lack of a godd one ) on the website.

again a big thank you to myfico people here and your advice and data on all things in the credit world.
9 REPLIES 9
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU =yes! & Penfed = maybe??? MyFico people = Yes, big yes awesome, thanks!

Welcome to the myFICO forums!

Congrats on the $20K CL and a BIG Welcome to the Navy FCU family! ! !

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 10
Nayola
Contributor

Re: NFCU =yes! & Penfed = maybe??? MyFico people = Yes, big yes awesome, thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Great to hear that NFCU showed you so much love!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on NF

Message 4 of 10
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Nayola wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Great to hear that NFCU showed you so much love!

Yes OP Thank you very much for the details and Thank you for taking time to read on here before you post Smiley Happy

BTW You could try to recon by calling or when you receive a survey by email. Penfed is really good on recon after the survey they will call you etc  CONGRATS on Navyfed Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the approval!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 6 of 10
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the community and another Congrats on the great approval!!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Great story. 👌🏾
Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you and thanks for sharing your story!! More great stories to come from you, I'm sure!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new card!

As for PenFed, they are extremely sensitive to new accounts. I applied for a card with them before I tried NFCU and they flat out told me that I need to let my accounts age to 12 months (she submitted the app over the phone and then spoke directly to the loan officer) - basically, they want to see me stop going for new credit.

I’m not too upset about it though because NFCU turned around and gave me my cashRewards at 11.4%.

I probably won’t even bother with PenFed to be honest as I just don’t see them being on the same level as Navy. I would just keep growing with Navy personally Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.