Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy FCU Approval!!!

tag
LishaJoy
Established Member

Navy FCU Approval!!!

WOW!  I have been reading this site for a while and taking baby steps to boost my credit score.  I now have to just wait for a couple of more baddies to fall off and have been able to get some credit cards with some decent credit lines. Barclay 3300.  RBFCU 2000.  Capital One 1500.  Yesterday I signed up to bank with Navy FCU.  I am prior military, receive VA disability and also currently work in the federal service.  I was disappointed to find out today that I got a hard inq from Navy for opening the bank account. 

Today I noticed that my new banking account said that I was "pre-selected" for their cash rewards card.  Since I already had the hard inq, I figured, why not, right?  Well I got an instant message that I was approved!!  Credit line $16,000!!!!!!!  I almost fell outta my chair!  Smiley Happy  I sure you can tell that I am super excited about this credit line!  I don't plan on using it but just the ability to boost my score a little (I hope) and the higher credit line.   Now time to wait and garden!  In about 2 more years all baddies should be off. There is a light at the end of my tunnel for sure now.

Many thanks to those who post useful information often.  I don't think I would have ever considered Navy if I hadn't found this site.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Re: Navy FCU Approval!!!

That's great news!!!  So happy for you.  I'm about to join Navy FCU too.  May I ask, did you open a savings and a checking account?  Also, what type of negatives are on your reports?  Did you have to give them incom verification?  Are you high income?

That's a really great credit limit!

Message 2 of 14
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! The inq was probably to join. They don't HP to open a ckg acct once you're a member. However, expect to see a second HP for your cc app, even though you were "pre-selected." They do HPs for every credit product separately and for joining. Unfortunately they don't use the same HP for a certain amt of time like other CUs do.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 14
LishaJoy
Established Member

Thanks Whereis750!  I have a 3 chargeoffs from previous credit cards.  All paid not but still showing as a chargeoff. Smiley Sad  They are all 5 or more years old.  I also have one 30 day late that should fall off in Aug of this year and a 30 -60 day late that should fall off early next year.  I have not missed a payment since my mishaps! (proud) Smiley Happy

My income is right at $90,000 a yr.  They did not perform income verification either.  That surprised me because I had to do that with RBFCU when I appd for their credit card.  I opened both a checking and a savings with only the minimum opening amount of 5 bucks plus 10 more.  I was going to change my direct deposit to Randolph-Brooks FCU to go in for a CLI and to make me look more marketable to them in a few months but now I think I just may change one of my direct deposits to Navy instead!  They have surely earned that much I guess.

Message 4 of 14
LishaJoy
Established Member

Another inq!?  Ugh!  I guess I have to take the good with the bad!  That sucks though.

Message 5 of 14
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@LishaJoy wrote:

WOW!  I have been reading this site for a while and taking baby steps to boost my credit score.  I now have to just wait for a couple of more baddies to fall off and have been able to get some credit cards with some decent credit lines. Barclay 3300.  RBFCU 2000.  Capital One 1500.  Yesterday I signed up to bank with Navy FCU.  I am prior military, receive VA disability and also currently work in the federal service.  I was disappointed to find out today that I got a hard inq from Navy for opening the bank account. 

Today I noticed that my new banking account said that I was "pre-selected" for their cash rewards card.  Since I already had the hard inq, I figured, why not, right?  Well I got an instant message that I was approved!!  Credit line $16,000!!!!!!!  I almost fell outta my chair!  Smiley Happy  I sure you can tell that I am super excited about this credit line!  I don't plan on using it but just the ability to boost my score a little (I hope) and the higher credit line.   Now time to wait and garden!  In about 2 more years all baddies should be off. There is a light at the end of my tunnel for sure now.

Many thanks to those who post useful information often.  I don't think I would have ever considered Navy if I hadn't found this site.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Congrats!!!

Congrats!!!

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 6 of 14
Whereis750
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I too bank with RBFCU – but am considering moving everything over to Navy (checking, savings, direct deposits).  May I ask what your scores were at the time of apping for the CC with Navy?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's pretty cool! I'm hoping to go that route. If they give me a card with a decent limit, I will happily close almost all of my other cards! :-)

May I ask what your ballpark scores were?

I applied online with NFCU (I'm overseas now) and got a "Your Navy Federal membership application was successfully submitted and is currently under review" email - that was on May 12th. I will give them a few more days before I start to worry. lol. 

Message 8 of 14
LishaJoy
Established Member

They checked TU only.  I am in TX and my FICO score is a 670.  I am still shocked!  

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great! Thanks for the info! That's the same ballpark that I should be in soon. Going to have to give it a try after they open an account for me. Yay! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.