Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Cash Advance

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Navy Federal Cash Advance

Yes I should have mentioned that navy doesn't fit the typical mold like most lenders in regards to cash advances . I can't recall another bank off hand that only charges about 2% above your normal APR for this feature.

I however always go by my own personal rule not to do cash advances on credit cards because there is no gem like navy in regards to this, but the question is in regards to navy so I could see the exception to my own rule 😉

But in regards to paying the minimum on it or any balance for that matter, that is never a good move .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good day all, I just got approved for a Navy Federal cash reward for $15,000.  The interest rate is high at 16% as I'm rebuiliding my credit.  I'm wondering if I were to take a cash advance of about $2,000 what would my monthly

minimum payments be?

Just as a general rule if a cash advance is something you need, do not go for the rewards card. The plain vanilla platium card with no rewards will have half the interest rate. I don't know if Navy will allow you to product change ane get a lower rate but it does not hurt to call and ask.

Message 22 of 29
althes
Frequent Contributor

Yeah Navy is the only one I would do a cash advance with at the moment.

They actually get the majority of my spend at the moment.

When my gorewards BT is paid off, it will be the card that will get 95% of my spend.

I have no issue giving Navy some interest.

Message 23 of 29
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Congrats!

Message 24 of 29
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@PicoFico wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your approval @Anonymous!

Based on the given APR and the amount and current NFCU policy you would be looking at about $40 a month for your minimum give or take.

And for perspective, how long might it take someone to pay that off, given minimum payments are all that could be afforded? Just thought that might be valuable for newcomers Smiley Wink

and finally,

Congrats on the approval!!!!

It is usually not advised to take out a cash advance on credit cards. If one can only afford minimum payments to pay it back that is a disaster waiting to happen 🥺

There is no stigma using a Cash Advance with Navy Federal. It does not bother them in the least and in no way implies financial distress unlike other lenders who advertise this feature yet frown upon its use. 

Can confirm. Took a cash advance on my Platinum and they doubled my cashRewards 3 months later even though I was told I was at my max the same month I took the CA. its a great way for them to make a couple bucks off someone that normally wouldn't be profitable at all. 

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jccflat wrote:

The weird thing is most banks  offer cash advance but they don't wanna dear see you doing cash advance Navy has no problem with that whatsoever

Or like Discover has cashover that will allow you to get $120 a day from a grocery store but you use a real CA and they freak out in addition to hitting you with crazy interest. 🙄 

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

Yes I should have mentioned that navy doesn't fit the typical mold like most lenders in regards to cash advances . I can't recall another bank off hand that only charges about 2% above your normal APR for this feature.

I however always go by my own personal rule not to do cash advances on credit cards because there is no gem like navy in regards to this, but the question is in regards to navy so I could see the exception to my own rule 😉

But in regards to paying the minimum on it or any balance for that matter, that is never a good move .

It's unique to CUs for sure. Like PenFed allows you to take your entire limit as CA and at the same APR as purchases even while still charging no fee for it. 

Message 28 of 29
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.