Message 11 of 19
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Secured Approved!

@Anonymous wrote:

currently 580 TU also

Recently joined NFCU

Would doing a 1,000 or 1,500 secured benefit more? or the same

No further benefit score wise.  It is easier to use with $1k on it though.  Either way, pay in full and it will unsecure.  If you make the deposit too big ($5k or something) it may take longer to unsecure.  My Wife did $1k and they doubled the CL when it graduated.  She also got approved for a $15k NFCU AMEX before her secured graduated.  That NFCU history matters on new cards...  not so much on CLI's in my experience.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got that card myself, it helps that you can graduate after 5 months, the reward points help to.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you guys/gals have an established checking and/or savings account with NFCU prior to apping for the secured? If so, what $ amt and age?

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i opened both checking and savings, my security deposit from my savings is what i funded the card with.  When i graduated last week, it deposited my $300 back into my savings account, and the card graduated at 5 months to a $2k limit.  Im keeping my fingers crossed that in 91 days they up that limit, but in any case, it matches my highest limit, so i aint mad.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!! We all started somewhere. You'll be surprised how fast your credit can grow with a little focus and patience. 

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i opened both checking and savings, my security deposit from my savings is what i funded the card with.  When i graduated last week, it deposited my $300 back into my savings account, and the card graduated at 5 months to a $2k limit.  Im keeping my fingers crossed that in 91 days they up that limit, but in any case, it matches my highest limit, so i aint mad.

Did you also apply for the Overdraft on your checking with NFCU when you opened the account? They hit you with a HP for it but its my understanding its a different UW standard and smoother results. This would get you another tradeline with them as well.

Message 17 of 19
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Congratulations, that's awesome. It's been a while since I heard someone had a secured card graduate in less than a year!

Keep on the rebuilding efforts!

Guyatthebeach

Message 18 of 19
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only have one baddie, a medical collection that i paid 1 month after it appeared.  However, I wasnt smart enough to request they remove it if i paid.  Now I know.  

Have you tried to dispute that collection? Or, tried to call them and ask if they'll remove it? I've fortunately had good luck with the few collections i've ever had on my report, they were willing to remove when I PIF. However, i also had luck on one that i forgot to ask and simply dispute it, saying they stated they would remove from my CR. Never hurts to try.

Also, congrats on your card graduating! 

|  
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.