Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NFCU Member and cashRewards Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New NFCU Member and cashRewards Approval

So, I've been wanting to get established with NFCU for a while now. Finally called in today and got my checking and savings accounts set up and I am planning on moving all my daily banking to these accounts (my current bank has very little to offer).

After the accounts were created, the CSR asked me if I was interested in any other products. I researched before I called and was interested in their Platinum card to use for balance transfers, but the lady told me I pre-qualified for the cashRewards card. I, wanting to establish a relationship with NFCU, took the path of least resistance by trying for their suggested card rather than risking a denial on the very low APR Platinum. I figured I would keep this card for a while and either PC it to platinum later or outright apply for it later on down the road (or even better find a pre-approval someday).

Anyways, I finished with the banking and the lady transferred me to a guy from the credit department who completed and submitted my application which, as you already know, I was approved for.

Capture.JPG

SL of only $600 and max APR at 18% but I wasn't expecting much being a brand new member. Even being max APR, it is still my lowest APR card so I believe this card has huge growth potential.

Side note - can someone enlighten me on the likelihood for NFCU to increase the limit if I were to call in and request it? After setting up all the accounts I was ready to get off of the phone and didn't think of it at the time.

Overall, I am very happy. I've been cycling in some hard hitting cards and systematically throwing the sub-primes to the curb which, to me, is indicative of progress. Smiley Happy

DP: Only pulled TU with a FICO 8 score of 672

21 REPLIES 21
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: New NFCU Member and cashRewards Approval

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Also, how long have you had the Delta Gold Skymiles card?

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

NFCU recons are very rarely successful but you can try. With your TU score, I think it to be pretty unlikely that they reconsider but the good news is that if you manage the card well, you might be able to score a much larger approval for a 2nd card at 91/3.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Thank you - about the Delta Gold card, I just had my first statement close the other day so barely over a month.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

NFCU recons are very rarely successful but you can try. With your TU score, I think it to be pretty unlikely that they reconsider but the good news is that if you manage the card well, you might be able to score a much larger approval for a 2nd card at 91/3.

Fair enough lol, I'm still very new to NFCU so wasn't sure what their trends are. Could arguably be more beneficial to go for the Platinum as a 2nd card anyways as that is my goal to use for a BT if I ever find a need to lower utilization. Maybe getting the reward card first is a blessing in disguise Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

Fair enough lol, I'm still very new to NFCU so wasn't sure what their trends are. Could arguably be more beneficial to go for the Platinum as a 2nd card anyways as that is my goal to use for a BT if I ever find a need to lower utilization. Maybe getting the reward card first is a blessing in disguise Smiley Surprised

To give you an idea of how rewarding NFCU can be, I started with a $3K SL in September and I got an increase to $7500 in December (which is all I asked for), a CLOC for $500 (all I asked for) and a $7200 Platinum card. $15,200 exposure on $18K income with just 3 months of relationship is stellar growth. Smiley Wink

Just give them time to get to know you and you’ll be in for a big surprise. 

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Thank you - about the Delta Gold card, I just had my first statement close the other day so barely over a month.

Gotcha. Don't forget to request the 3x CLI on it after 61 days!

Message 8 of 22
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS on your Approval and getting established with NFCU - that's my next goal!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

To give you an idea of how rewarding NFCU can be, I started with a $3K SL in September and I got an increase to $7500 in December (which is all I asked for), a CLOC for $500 (all I asked for) and a $7200 Platinum card. $15,200 exposure on $18K income with just 3 months of relationship is stellar growth. Smiley Wink

Just give them time to get to know you and you’ll be in for a big surprise. 

I'm very hopeful and excited haha - I see crazy limits from them all day long on here.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.