Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rebuilder mini app spree after 15 YEARS in purgatory

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New rebuilder mini app spree after 15 YEARS in purgatory

Hello. This is my first post here. I learned some things from Beat the Bush and being a lurker here.
15 years ago, I was married to a Con Man who opened up a lot af credit in my name. I fought to no avail (marriage laws at the time- can't prosecute a spouse). He later went to prison for getting caught conning others CC and TL. I had to wait a long time for everything to fall off because he took all my savings too. I had 47 collections, CO etc. Last fall, I disputed the last bit and it was verified inaccurate and removed "without possibility of reinsertion". Prior to this clean up, I had not even checked my credit since 2005. After all the baddies fell:
Starting score Sep '17: roughly 550 across the FAKOs due to no open accounts.

Only things showing up were a car I paid off 4 years ago to a subprime (perfect history)and current child support (perfect). I applied for a Cap1 and got only a $300 limit. Got CLI 3 months later to $400. I charged a total of over $5k to this card in those 3 months by paying off multiple times.
At the same time, my new good Hubby AU me to his 14 year old Cap1. Some FICO models do not include this. My personal AAoA is 2.5 years (until the new stuff hits).
Decided to expand my profile after a 3 month garden & mistakenly thought my 680 fako was real during this time (FICO was at about 740!).

Got approved for a small $3500 personal loan June 1 '18. Stuck it in savings. Don't even need the $. Plan to pay 50% back soon. Not reporting yet.

On a whim, apped for Chase Freedom Unlimited the next day or so. 30 day messages. Called to verify income and identity. Instant approval for $4500. I bout died! Waiting for card. Never had a limit this high.

Waited one week, decided, what the heck? Apped for USAA Signature Rewards Visa, instant approval for $6k! I sat there crying. 14 years of credit hell, now this.

Score in Sep, 550ish, Score in June 740 before app spree! Currently FICO 8 730. Recieved a 5 point bump when apped USAA! USAA pulled EX FICO3, which shows 707. I have 6 checking, savings accounts with them for 14 years.
I paid cash for almost everything since I went in purgatory back in 04/05. Home is owned outright and 2 vehicles.

I feel good, but also scared one (or both) of my new cards will AA me when the loan and new CC hits. I have high income, high savings, hard assets, but no real credit. I figured at nearly 40, I better get some credit. I will not carry a balance on these cards. Trying to decide if I should close CAP1 rebuilder or PC it later. Trying to remain calm. Hoping the cards come and dont get closed. I dont even need them. I did get SUB for both. If they dont AA me, I plan to garden 2 years because the thought of 15 CC scares me lol. Thanks for reading.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New rebuilder mini app spree after 15 YEARS in purgatory

Wow, great story, very inspirational! Glad you finally stopped lurking! I think many people building credit get the rush of finally getting high starting limits with prime banks and cards, but overcoming rebuilding really creates the rush you're feeling! Don't worry about AA, there are people on the forums that would consider this app 'spree' a rock in the pond Smiley Happy but CONGRATS!!!!!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approvals and the successful rebuild!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me Welcome you to forum , Congrats on approvals , and nice SLs ,

Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Amazing job persevering through thatSmiley Happy. Welcome to the forum and wonderful job on getting your new approvalsSmiley Happy. Gardening will work wonders for youSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I really hope I'm doing this right. I don't want to scare the lenders by getting "app-happy" (It is quite a rush!). I chose these 2 cards as my keepers due to no AF and great rewards. It is so tempting to app for more, but I know my file is too thin, even with high income. I'd like to have several keepers that age together, but I'm happy with these 2. Still have my mind blown on how my score took a 200 point jump in only 7 months.
Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With your high income, you may also want to check out Credit Unions. I'm not a fan of Penfed but anyone can join and though theyve become conservative this year, if you dont have alot credit elsewhere and have high 8ncome low dti, they may give you a nice limit on a cc if so desired. Just a thought.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that! I've definitely been looking into credit unions. My husband financed a brand new car through one and they gave him 2% apr! Service Credit Union I believe. I plan to start digging through some. I want a minimum of 1.6 apy on my savings. I would love 3% or higher. We've also been looking at Navy Fed.
I'm just rebuilding and am a little intimidated to take on a lot of new cards. I do not have the guts to go all out app spree. I want to. I enjoyed the rush, just lack the guts. The only store card I really want is Home Depot 🤣 trying not to accept the prequalify offer.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an amazing story. I've only been a member for a few days and have learned so much. I'm happy for you.

Currently- I was in the same pond you were swimming in.  A lot of it-my-own-fault!

I have three cards- not high limits, but have paid zero in interest. I've taken the advice of what I learn daily and apply it to my past bad judgment.

I too, make great money, but it doesn't count, unfortunately. However, the knowledge I've gained on here in just a short time, I look forward to the rush you're currently experiencing!! Way to knock it out of the park!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.