Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Hotel Card - IHG or Marriott? Update: IHG Approved

tag
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Next Hotel Card - IHG or Marriott?

So sounds like IHG is the way to go.  Now comes the second question.  The standard offer is 60k points after $1k spend but I have a special offer of 80k points for $2k spend.  The marginal difference for the extra $1k doesn't seem to be much, and I have heard the standard offer has been 80k after $1k before.  Any thoughts as to which one I should do?

Message 11 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:
May be obvious, but keep in mind the Marriott card falls under 5/24 but the ihg does not.

How do you know that it’s not 5/24?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-explained-detail-need-know/#What_Cards_Aren8217t_Affected

Scroll down for the exemption list as well.

Message 12 of 21
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MASTERNCwrote:

So sounds like IHG is the way to go.  Now comes the second question.  The standard offer is 60k points after $1k spend but I have a special offer of 80k points for $2k spend.  The marginal difference for the extra $1k doesn't seem to be much, and I have heard the standard offer has been 80k after $1k before.  Any thoughts as to which one I should do?

It gets offered every once in awhile if you're willing to wait but IMO I would just go ahead and get the 80k/$2k spend offer since point wise I think that's the highest they go anyways unless something will prevent you from making that spend like other card SUBs you're going for at the moment.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dun dun dun dun dun duuuuuun!

I present to you: this link I found a bit back on IHG's site that gives the standard 60k bonus offer *but also* a $50 statement credit

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ihg60plus?CELL=6J1C&cm_sp=OSMAM-6C-US-EN-RR-A-MNR-60K-FGLT-...
Message 14 of 21
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Dun dun dun dun dun duuuuuun!

I present to you: this link I found a bit back on IHG's site that gives the standard 60k bonus offer *but also* a $50 statement credit

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/ihg60plus?CELL=6J1C&cm_sp=OSMAM-6C-US-EN-RR-A-MNR-60K-FGLT-J1C-ChaseMasterCard

Already went for the 80k offer and was approved.  Oh well.

Message 15 of 21
Kree
Established Contributor

The extra 20k is worth more than $50

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

$50 bonus is still a nice one on top of the 60k for when the 80k isn't available - i guess i didnt read posts in this thread closely enough but i wasn't aware the 80k offer even was available. besides that, it really depends on how you value the points. from the perspective of $50 covers an annual fee for year 2 and that effectively gets you a "free" annual night certificate, it's arguable that the $50 is worth more than 20k points.

still, either way, 60k + $50 is better than 60k alone, but that 80k offer is nice when available. i wonder if there's a link somewhere for 80k + $50?

Message 17 of 21
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

When I got mine the public offer was 80K points for $1K and they matched me to a well known targeted offer of 100K points for $2K.

20K points is worth around $100 and worth an additional $1K spend (about 10% return).

I’m using my points on 3 nights in Jerusalem and one night in St. Augustine and I still have some to spare. I haven’t even gotten my annual free night yet. This card was well worth the app (and recon)!
Message 18 of 21
jbsilva21
Regular Contributor

I agree with MrDisco99. There is an ask sebby video that outlines the IHG card. Seems like a great value for $49.00.

Message 19 of 21
iced
Valued Contributor

My advice is you should pick a card based on your preferred hotel, not the other way around. If you like Marriott more, why not build around that?

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.