cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No FICO score to $8000 CL in 7 months!

tag
fast_times

No FICO score to $8000 CL in 7 months!

7 Months ago I had a completely blank credit report, with the exception on one 6 year old $0 adverse account showing up on one CRA.  This is due to roll off the beginning of the year.  To fix my thin file, I became an AU on two CC accounts of a family member.  One account has a CL of $14000 and  was opened in 1975!  The other account has a $10000 CL and opened in 2002.  Both have low utilization and no late pays.

I was planing on starting with a secured card, but I just never go around to opening one.  Six months after becoming an AU,  I applied for a Capitol One "New Arrival" card on a whim.  I was approved for a Platinum MasterCard with a $500 CL.  I've already earned $40 in cash-back rewards the last couple of months. Smiley Happy  One month later, I purchased both my real FICO scores from myFICO and was amazed to see they were an amazing 744 and 745!

Looking at other credit card offers, I was tempted to try for even better cash reward cards with sign-up bonuses.  I applied for both the Citibank Dividend and the Chase Freedom cards.  Chase approved me right away, with a $3500 CL, but Citibank said they needed more info.  I called the number Citibank told me to call, but it was a non-working number.  Oh well, at least I got approved for the Freedom card.  About a week later, I unexpectedly received a Citibank Dividend card in the mail with a $4000 CL!  The same day I received the Chase Freedom card. Smiley Happy

So thanks for for all the tips.  I went from zero credit files to $8K in credit-lines in 7 months.  The AU trick made all the difference in the world, and I would have never even known about it without forums like this.  I wanted these cards for the perks, like rental car insurance, free extended warranties, accidental damage coverage, and of course the cash-back.  I think I'm done shopping for credit for a year.  I'm now working on spending $500 on each card to earn my $500 in sign up bonus cash.  Smiley Happy

FICO mid 770's
CapOne Quicksilver ($750) - Chase Freedom ($3500)
CitiBank Dividend ($6000) - AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($9600)
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Re: No FICO score to $8000 CL in 7 months!

Thats great! I hope to expand my credit profile (albeit only a bit) myself.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 2 of 27
pj421fly
Valued Member

sweeeeeeeeeeet

Starting Score: TU-691 EQ-681 EX-693
Current Score: TU-826 EQ-816 EX-814
Goal Score: 830+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

CONGRATULATIONS fast_times!!! Smiley Happy

My husband and I are in NO FICO SCORE land right now so your post is especially encouraging!!!   We are using secured credit cards and S-L-O-W-L-Y building our way along. 

Thank you for sharing your story, you have fortified us with hope -- bless you!!! 

Message 4 of 27
fast_times

Keep at it.  If at all possible, find someone(s) that will add you as an AUs.  The instant history will really speed up the process.

I never worried about credit before, choosing to pay cash.  I hate paying interest.    When I recency bought my home, I paid cash in full so figured who needs credit?  But I realized I was passing up too many opportunities not being able to demonstrate credit worthiness.  Even things like homeowners insurance rates are influenced by FICO.  And, also I might actually need a home loan one day. (heaven forbid)  Plus, I realized as a cash customer, I was subsidizing those that used credit cards to make purchases, with higher prices, with nothing in return.  So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  I'll use the free perks and the banks won't see a penny of interest from me.  That's the plan anyway. Smiley Happy  Good luck.

FICO mid 770's
Message 5 of 27
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

@fast_times wrote:

Keep at it.  If at all possible, find someone(s) that will add you as an AUs.  The instant history will really speed up the process.

I never worried about credit before, choosing to pay cash.  I hate paying interest.    When I recency bought my home, I paid cash in full so figured who needs credit?  But I realized I was passing up too many opportunities not being able to demonstrate credit worthiness.  Even things like homeowners insurance rates are influenced by FICO.  And, also I might actually need a home loan one day. (heaven forbid)  Plus, I realized as a cash customer, I was subsidizing those that used credit cards to make purchases, with higher prices, with nothing in return.  So, if you can't be 'em, join 'em.  I'll use the free perks and the banks won't see a penny of interest from me.  That's the plan anyway. Smiley Happy  Good luck.

Does that instant history really work? Just wondering, cause I was considering asking my dad about adding me to his 10+ yr accounts and just sticking the card in his drawer just so I could raise my credit score.  Hes a bit paranoid like I am, but if he has the physical card and the number is the same I don't think he'd worry too much.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fast_times wrote:

If at all possible, find someone(s) that will add you as an AUs.

According to our CR, our AAoA history is at 15.4 years because of some OLD closed accounts that are still reporting in good standing.  Also, we hope to get an Amex card as soon as we possibly can after generating a FICO score to take advantage of the backdating -- we had accounts with them back in the 70s or 80s -- that should help too! 

Between now and this time next year, its just the waiting game, gardening the secured CCs we've got and taking one day at a time.

Thank you for your good wishes and again, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!! 

Message 7 of 27
fast_times

Yes, it can work wonders.  It's the only way to explain my 744/745 FICO with my CRs containing, at the time, only the two AU accounts.  It does still take a few months after being added as an AU for a FICO score to be generated.  Find family with the oldest account possible to add you.  And one with the highest limits and lowest utilization, ideally.  I'm also probably going get a small secured personal loan from a CU so I can add an installment loan to my credit mix.  At that point, I hope to be headed for 800 FICO once the ding of the new accounts goes away with time.

FICO mid 770's
Message 8 of 27
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@PetRaccoon wrote:

Does that instant history really work? Just wondering, cause I was considering asking my dad about adding me to his 10+ yr accounts and just sticking the card in his drawer just so I could raise my credit score.  Hes a bit paranoid like I am, but if he has the physical card and the number is the same I don't think he'd worry too much.

Being added as an AU can help IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 27
fast_times

Yeah, I should of added the brands of the cards I was added as AU.  The card from 1975 is a BoA card, and the 2002 card is a Capitol One card.  Both reported to all three CRA's.  I never did it, but I was also going to add on as a AU to my Grandmother's Macy's card -- from 1958!  Never tried.

FICO mid 770's
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.