Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not much but Citi Secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not much but Citi Secured

Congrats! Build that relationship and good things will come!
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Been trying to rebuild credit and get things paid off and yesterday I got the email saying I am approved for the Citi Secured Mastercard

18 months from now they will review and see if it goes unsecured

Congratulations. When I started rebuilding in 2014 I was actually denied secured cc's, Wells let me get $300/$300 - I thin cause I had a checking account with them for years. 

I have $50k in total CL today ($25k on one card alone) and average CL's of over $10k. By late 2016 I qualified for solid cards (CSP, CSR etc). It was about 2 years of diligence. My credit went from 470ish to 700+ in that time.  

Message 12 of 19
NaaryalHead
Regular Contributor

Also with city secured, if you pay on time and keep utilization low, they early graduate you. E.g my citi Secured was graduated this week to diamond preferred after around 12,13 month mark.

5k+ CLs: Chase Amazon, Cap1 QS1,
10k+ CLs: BofA Cash Rewards, Amex Cash Magnet, Citi DC, Barclays Uber, Citi Premier, Chase Saphire Preff,Cap1 Savor1

Torch bearer of the Bucketeers' Society. Shamefully carrying a bucketed Cap One QS1 with AF & zero chance of a PC.
Message 13 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Been trying to rebuild credit and get things paid off and yesterday I got the email saying I am approved for the Citi Secured Mastercard

Congrats. I would take the offer. I have read that people have been getting converted to unsecured account at the 11/12 month mark.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 19
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Congrats on the Approval..... Citi doesn't like my file for some reason.... Seriously thinking about opening a Secured Card with them just to get my foot in the door with them .......
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Citi has excellent products. The only way to from here is up!
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I for one, am not very happy at the moment with my Citi secured account.

I've had the card for 18 months now, and it has not unsecured.  To add insult to injury, I received a letter recently stating that they were renewing my deposit of $200 (The letter said I could close my account and they would send me my money if I wanted to, I elected to let it ride though) for another 12 months and they will review my account again for possible unsecuring at that time.

During the last 18 months, my credit score has went up over 75 points (see my sig for current scores).  I have 5 other card approvals during this time with CL over $20k between them.  I also have 2 car loans.

Never burned Citi.  No late pays in over 2 years.  No high utilization on anything in over 2 years. Excellent low 6 figure salary.  BK7 is over 7 years old.

Having a card with a paltry $200 limit is almost useless for me.  It worked to get me back in the credit card game, but is no longer practicle.  It's been sock drawered for a while now.  That being said, it still get automatically used and paid every month for.....get this.....my $42.75 monthly subscription to myfico for my scores.  LOL

I agreed to allow my deposit to remain and see what happens in 12 months.  If it does not graduate then, I will definitely close the account. 

Glad others are having luck with Citi, but I cannot seem to catch a break with them...at least not yet.   

Message 17 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I for one, am not very happy at the moment with my Citi secured account.

I've had the card for 18 months now, and it has not unsecured.  To add insult to injury, I received a letter recently stating that they were renewing my deposit of $200 (The letter said I could close my account and they would send me my money if I wanted to, I elected to let it ride though) for another 12 months and they will review my account again for possible unsecuring at that time.

During the last 18 months, my credit score has went up over 75 points (see my sig for current scores).  I have 5 other card approvals during this time with CL over $20k between them.  I also have 2 car loans.

Never burned Citi.  No late pays in over 2 years.  No high utilization on anything in over 2 years. Excellent low 6 figure salary.  BK7 is over 7 years old.

Having a card with a paltry $200 limit is almost useless for me.  It worked to get me back in the credit card game, but is no longer practicle.  It's been sock drawered for a while now.  That being said, it still get automatically used and paid every month for.....get this.....my $42.75 monthly subscription to myfico for my scores.  LOL

I agreed to allow my deposit to remain and see what happens in 12 months.  If it does not graduate then, I will definitely close the account. 

Glad others are having luck with Citi, but I cannot seem to catch a break with them...at least not yet.   

Sorry to hear about the extended secured process.

I would call them up to see the exact reasons why they extended the secured card. I reaad that some folks have applied for a Citi product while they had the secured card. Maybe you should apply for a product in a few months.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 18 of 19
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is great. Good start with a quality secured card

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.