Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG SHOCKED beyond Belief NFCU approved me, yes me!!-- UPDATE SCORES JUMPED

tag
sweetcinn
Valued Member

OMG SHOCKED beyond Belief NFCU approved me, yes me!!-- UPDATE SCORES JUMPED

Hi my fellow FICOers,

I am in a credit rebuild status.  The advice I got on this board is amazing!! So in my rebuild, I am rehabbing a defaulted student loan, paying off 2 judgements, having some old things removed.  Within the process, I also have 2 secured cards, one with Cap one for $250 and one with NFCU for $600.   I had asked for my NFCU secured card to be unsecured a few times but they would not do it. I was reading on the boards last Friday about people being approved for NFCU. I was like oh well, what have I got to lose so I applied for the goRewards card.  I was not instantly denied as I had been in the past so I was like okay.  I got the app is under review comment and was like okay, here we go.  I was preparing to submit a reconsideration once they denied me.  GUESS what... they approved me for the card with a $7300 limit (the interest rate is high at 18%, but I will take it).  I almost fell out of my chair!!!

My scores are not high at all.  TU is my highest at 563 EX is 521 and EQ is 535.  I have had my secured card for about a year, I use it and pay it in full every month.  I do the same with my Cap One card.  I am not sure what their criteria is for approvals but I am so glad to have gotten an unsecured card with them.

For those who are rebuilding there is hope!! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: My internal NFCU score is 239 out of 450 based on the letter that was sent to me after approval for the GoRewards card.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE 6/6/17 -- My new NFCU accounts hit my report!! My new credit limit for NFCU is reporting, Capital One gave me a $300 bump in my limit a few days ago (still no preapproval yet) and my NFCU car loan is now reporting.  My scores have JUMPED. my Experian is 659, Equifax is 615 and Transunion is now the lowest at 576.  Smiley Indifferent I am still waiting for the judgement to be removed from TU which should be in another 2 weeks or so.  I didn't close my NFCU secured card because I spoke with a CSR in the bank and she said it might be getting ready to become unsecured.  (I have not had the secured card for a year yet.) They no longer offer the nrewards card but it converts to the one of the other rewards cards.  I will wait until I hit the full one year mark and see what happens before I decide to close it.

I can't remember the last time my score was over 600!!!  I love NFCU!!!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OMG SHOCKED beyond Belief NFCU approved me, yes me!!

Congratulations!! That is an awesome approval, especially with your scores. Take good care of it and keep working on improving your scores

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

NFCU appearst to use their own internal credit score so you had a year of payment history on their secured card and that obviously raised your internal score with them.

Did they give you their internal score number? 

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 4 of 28
sweetcinn
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

NFCU appearst to use their own internal credit score so you had a year of payment history on their secured card and that obviously raised your internal score with them.

Did they give you their internal score number? 

They clearly do.  I did what everyone said and PIF each month on the secured.  I have not received the internal score yet.  That will probably be mailed to me.  I just got the approval text message from them this morning.  When I find out the internal score, I will update this post. 

Message 5 of 28
sonicchris8
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the Navy approval. Good work with the secured card.

Starting scores: 538 EQ, 552 TU, 520 EX Current scores (11/18/20): 640 EQ 638 TU 654 EX
Message 6 of 28
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Well done!!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is an outstanding approval, congrats on your come up with Navy!
Message 8 of 28
padme
Established Contributor

FYI you probably don't want to PIF every card, leave a 20 bucks on say 2 of them or so.
Message 9 of 28
sweetcinn
Valued Member

@padme wrote:
FYI you probably don't want to PIF every card, leave a 20 bucks on say 2 of them or so.

WIll do. Thanks for the advice.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.