cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off the BofA BL - Travel Rewards Approved!!!

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Off the BofA BL - Travel Rewards Approved!!!

2.625% rewards on everything here I come!  I have a long and winding history with BofA, but since around 2010 I've been on their BL.  I recently changed jobs so had a 401k I could roll over into a Merrill Edge account and get the Platinum Honors level of their Preferred Rewards.  I app'd for the US Bank Altitude card yesterday so I said, what the heck, let's make it a little spree.

Application was not instantly approved nor denied, but went under review.  I decided to give a call this morning and an analyst said it had not yet been finalized but she would try to get it finalized right now (I think the fact that I had those Merrill Edge accounts was a factor).  She put me on hold and didn't ask any additional questions, and came back a few minutes later with a $5k approval!  Not the highest, but definitely fine for what I need it for.  The huge rewards plus nice 20k point sign-on bonus will have this card at the top of my wallet.  Maybe I'll try to see if they can use the same HP for a CLI on my BBR card.

So, you may be wondering why I think I'm on the BL if I have a BBR card.  The reason is that my BBR started life as a secured card, that eventually graduated to a regular BankAmericard, that I talked them into converting into a BBR.  Since I had my COs with BofA in 2010, they haven't actually approved me for anything that wasn't secured (and I actually was declined and had to recon to originally get the fully secured card to start with).  So this Travel Rewards is my first non-secured approval since then.

Come to think of it, I've never actually had a card approved by BofA before.  My CC history with them dates back to an MBNA card and a Fleet bank card I had long ago.  BofA acquired both of those banks and those cards converted to standard BofA cards.  In about 2010, they were both charged off (about $2.5k each if I recall), and in about 2013 I paid to settle both of them.  Last month, those derogs finally fell off my reports so I was hopeful.  I'm still on Amex & Chase BL so I gotta work on those, however Citi actually let me back in about 6 months ago before the derogs cleared and things have been going swimmingly with them.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Off the BofA BL - Travel Rewards Approved!!!

Congratulations on your BoA approval, especially since you'd had trouble with them before

Message 2 of 11
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Sweet! Congrats

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats happypill on coming off the BoA BL & on your travel rewards card approval good job!!!
Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

One heck of a happy pillSmiley Wink. Nice jobSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a 6 figure salary? Do you still have all of those 30 cards in your signature? Just curious; I have often wondered at what point I personally would start getting delcined for new credit since I (thought) I already had so much. SSFCU in particular is very conservative yet you have two cards with them. 

Congrats on the approval; I really like BofA and with your Preferred Rewads you will make out like a bandit! 

Message 6 of 11
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have a 6 figure salary? Do you still have all of those 30 cards in your signature? Just curious; I have often wondered at what point I personally would start getting delcined for new credit since I (thought) I already had so much. SSFCU in particular is very conservative yet you have two cards with them. 

Congrats on the approval; I really like BofA and with your Preferred Rewads you will make out like a bandit! 

Hi Co_Native, I do have a six figure salary (my company is HQ in CO actually, but I live in CA), and I actually haven't updated my signature in about 6 months so I have another half-dozen cards I need to add (Citi AA, PenFed Cash Rewards, US Bank Business Edge, BofA Travel Rewards, and I'm forgetting something).

Yes, SSFCU is pretty conservative, although I have a good relationship with them.  They gave me the Power Travel Rewards (my absolute favorite, although the new BofA Travel Rewards will be in the running now) at $5k when I started my rebuild, and when they introduced the Cash Rewards card last year I applied and they gave me $10k, which for them is pretty high.  I use the Power Travel Rewads card a lot.

I definitely have too many recent new accounts and inquiries (about 30 accounts in last 24 months and 18-20 inquiries per bureau).  That's definitely too many for some lenders, but I'm at the point where I'm naturally about to slow down becuase I have most of what I want (need to get back in with Chase & Amex still).  From my personal experience, accounts and inquiries within the past 6 months is the most significant factor (Barclay's, FNBO, USBank have all specifically called out this timeframe to me).

Actually, this BofA Travel Rewards card makes a bunch of other cards obsolete for me - anything with 1.5%, 2% or even 2.5% standard rewards so very excited to get it!

Message 7 of 11
kidink1911
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your BOA Travel Rewards approval!!

PERSONAL: AMEX Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Gold- NPSL / Macy's AMEX Card- $4,500 / SavorOne- $500 / PenFed Gold Visa- $5,000 / Venmo Visa - $20,000 / PayPal MC- $20,000 / PayPal Credit- $1,700 / NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards- $5,800 / AMEX Delta Platinum- $4,200 / NFCU More Rewards AMEX- $3,400 / NFCU Cash Rewards- $4,000 / Credit One Platinum Visa Rewards- $1,000 / Discover IT Chrome- $1,000 / Capital One Venture- $3,550 / AMEX Cash Magnet Card- $1,000 / Belk MC Card- $800 / Citi Shell Mastercard- $400 / Credit One AMEX- $800 / Capital One Spark- $700 / Capital One Platinum- $300 / Citibank Shell- $400 / Oportun Visa- $500 / Fifth Third Bank MC- $300
BUSINESS: American Express Business Platinum- NPSL / AMEX Hilton Honors Business Card- $3,000 / AMEX Delta Platinum Business Card- $3,000 / Marriott Bonvoy Business Card- $3,000 / American Express Business Gold- NPSL / American Express Business Green- NPSL / Sam's Club Business Mastercard- $20,000 / Floor and Decor Pro Premier Business- $20,000 / Phillips 66-Conoco-76 Business Gas Card- $5,000 / Walmart Community Credit Line- $5,000 / Fuelman Mastercard- $3,000 / Amazon Synchrony Business Credit Line- $5,000 / Lowe's Business Credit- $5,000 / Office Depot Commercial Credit- $2,500 / Tractor Supply Company Business- $1,500 / Citi Exxon/Mobil Business Gas Card- $3,000 / Speedway Business Mastercard- $4,500
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Similar story here. My MBNA card (that was acquired by BOA) was burned.

I applied for the BankAmericard standard MC and was offered the partial secured card (99/500).

CLI link appeared in 5 months. Clicked, asked for $7,500, went in pending, and received denied letter.

Called to recon. Approved for graduation with a new CL of $2,100.

Called to ask for AF removal. Approved.

Called to ask for PC to Cash Rewards. Approved.

Two months later, the CLI showed up again. Clicked, went pending and denied again.

Called to recon. Approved for a new CL of $5,000.

Happy camper....

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@happypill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Co_Native, I do have a six figure salary (my company is HQ in CO actually, but I live in CA), and I actually haven't updated my signature in about 6 months so I have another half-dozen cards I need to add (Citi AA, PenFed Cash Rewards, US Bank Business Edge, BofA Travel Rewards, and I'm forgetting something).

Yes, SSFCU is pretty conservative, although I have a good relationship with them.  They gave me the Power Travel Rewards (my absolute favorite, although the new BofA Travel Rewards will be in the running now) at $5k when I started my rebuild, and when they introduced the Cash Rewards card last year I applied and they gave me $10k, which for them is pretty high.  I use the Power Travel Rewads card a lot.

I definitely have too many recent new accounts and inquiries (about 30 accounts in last 24 months and 18-20 inquiries per bureau).  That's definitely too many for some lenders, but I'm at the point where I'm naturally about to slow down becuase I have most of what I want (need to get back in with Chase & Amex still).  From my personal experience, accounts and inquiries within the past 6 months is the most significant factor (Barclay's, FNBO, USBank have all specifically called out this timeframe to me).

Actually, this BofA Travel Rewards card makes a bunch of other cards obsolete for me - anything with 1.5%, 2% or even 2.5% standard rewards so very excited to get it!

Thanks for the info. So you have 40+cards? You live in CA....I do not see the Golden 1 card in your line up. I'd like you to close Overtons and Gander Mountain and get that Golden 1 card STAT LOL.  Sorry weird mood tonight. Again, thank you for sharing the info and congrats on your success with BofA! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.