Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Barclays !

tag
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Oh Barclays !

Let me start by saying I am not a fan of Barclays and never had a relationship with them but their Uber card is just too good to pass on so I applied for it fully knowing what to expect and boy oh boy Barclays didn't disappoint a bit.

I applied for the card on the app and got the "you will hear from us" so I checked the online status and it said pending which is a good sign. I called the underwriting and was transferred to the security team which basically confirmed that I am almost approved but they need SSN, DL and a bill, I asked what's with the hassle and she said that my phone number didn't come up on public records (thank you SageStream).

I tried to HUCA hoping someone would text me a code or something and a very rude lady was like you just called and we told you to send bla bla bla. Fast forward two days later I receive an email congratulating me on approval so I called them back and again they transferred me to the security team which said that they still need the documents and I received this email by mistake -huh?-

I checked the online status before calling and they slapped me with $500 SL so I asked to be transferred to the credit team and reconned the SL mentioning that I would like to use the card and most of my cards have higher limits. A very nice lady asked me how much I want and I said $5000, she grilled me about my income and job (how much I make, what do I do, how long have I been there, what did I do before and for how long) then she checked my credit report and came back saying "at this time it looks like we can approve your request for the full amount" and I thanked her and that was that. I still need to mail the documents but at least I know that I am approved with a decent credit line.

My question for you guys is how to make sure I get the visa signature card given that the reps said that CL doesn't determine your card type ?!

Thanks,

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Oh Barclays !

Congratulations!!! I applied for the Aadvantage Aviator Red Card on the 26th. It still shows pending. I guess I need to call the back door number and speed along the process.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 3 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Will be a platinum cause approved with 500 although reconned to 5k.  i had the uber initially approved for 4k when i had it and reconned to 10k and was the non-signature.   rewards are all the same though other than a little status hit it is the same card of benefits 99% of the population doesn't use

Message 4 of 13
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

It's odd that the card tier gets decided based on SL and stays like that forever. Thanks

Message 5 of 13
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Signature cards have significant benefits that other cards just don't have, including concierge services, premium rewards, dedicated phone number to call when you have issues, luxury rental cars, luxury vacations, trip delay reimbursement, and much more. 

Message 6 of 13
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

Signature cards have significant benefits that other cards just don't have, including concierge services, premium rewards, dedicated phone number to call when you have issues, luxury rental cars, luxury vacations, trip delay reimbursement, and much more. 

not saying some people dont use them as probably have 12 signature cards and infinite cards, wemc, etc..  Just saying majority of people don't use the benefits the only one i really use is platinum and infinite concierge to get stuff done, sometimes with success more-so without.

edit: also op they will consider upgrading at a later time, just can't be customer initiated.. the only way i have seem a signature updated per customer is customer cancelling platinum card and re-applying having a instant denial calling recon and then getting the 5k+ from the start..  Was silly, but person really wanted a signture card and was willing to take an aaoa hit and another hp. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

AAoA may not get a big hit depending on your profile but I would be concerned about AoYA, if this one is under 1 year you will always lose some points there which doesn't make any sense because they already penalized you by losing some points for the inquiry.

Message 8 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

They may be significant on paper, but almost nobody actually uses them. How many posts do you see about wanting a Visa Sig vs actually using a benefit?  Visa Signature is so common these days it's not like they can offer very exclusive or lucrative benefits, especially since many Visa Signature cards have no AF.

As for the OP's question, with Barclay the card will remain at the status it was approved at, regardless of limit changes down the road. So the card will be a Visa Platinum for the life of the account, which IMO is no big deal as the rewards are the same. Barclay does randomly upgrade people occasionally, I've heard, but not upon request.

Message 9 of 13
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Uber approval! I've wanted this card forever now, but I'm holding off for another year. Given my young file, I don't think my chances are good. Glad you were able to get a decent limit out of them!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.