cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the edge of two score categories, does it matter? *UPDATE* Approved - Discover IT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the edge of two score categories, does it matter? *UPDATE* Approved - Discover IT

Hi everyone, I'm planning to apply for a Discover IT student card (have a prequal) and my EQ and TU are at 668 and 669 respectively, right at the edge between fair and good. Pretty sure the line is 670. Will 3 points actually matter for approval odds and credit limit? Should I wait to apply or just do it now?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: On the edge of two score categories, does it matter?

If you have the prequal, you should be good right now

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Meanmchine wrote:

If you have the prequal, you should be good right now

Good luck

This. Also, the "line" isn't really set in stone. It varies depending on what site/resource you're using. Also, your score fluctuates so much that 3 points is never a big deal. 

Good luck! (I bet you get it.)

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I always say wait when near the end of the month unless you need the cc very soon because there’s always a chance your score goes up the first of next month due to aging.

Not sure if you will get it in time for Black Friday/Cyber Monday with the holiday coming up. It depends how quickly you want the card. Discover does have a great q4 category that lines up w Christmas spending though.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got approved for $1750, thanks for all the help everyone!
Message 5 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Congrats!
Message 6 of 11
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the approval, I love my Disco!
Message 7 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 8 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just got approved for $1750, thanks for all the help everyone!

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 9 of 11
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Re: On the edge of two score categories, does it matter? *UPDATE* Approved - Discover IT

With Discover 3 points will not matter. They do their own thing when it comes to approvals. The student card is actually easier to get and they will slow your SL to something more manageable instead of offering numbers that include padding. This being evident in the approval they they gave you.

Happy holidays with your new card.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.