Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orion Federal Credit Union MC

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Orion Federal Credit Union MC

Figured id post this in case anyone was interested in a CU not as hip as AODSmiley Wink. Probably my last approval until i can find another job lol so gotta enjoy this. 

Apped about 2 weeks ago. This is a Credit Union based out of Tennessee  and is open to everyone. Supposedly have a cc with a low apr of 6.49% which is why i tried for it. Special thanks to @Curious_George2  for mention of this CU in low apr threadSmiley Happy

Pretty easy app, after filling in all info, membership was instantly approved, suprising me. Got a member number but couldnt sign in to online banking, was doing from mobile, so i waited a few days. Actually applied for a cc same time to maximize  pull. Received 1 HP from Eq.  Instantly aporoved $1500, wouldnt be me if it was $25kSmiley Wink

Got an email on a Monday, had apped on a Sat i believed, as i sent a message i had trouble creating online account. Received a call on Tuesday, nice lady. Asked her about my cc that wasnt showing in my online profile, took rest of info to verify and said congrats AJ! Let me know my apr was 12.24% , $1500 limit. Not bad for a CU that knows me not a iota lol. Actually gave me more than PF did back in daySmiley Wink

Card came  today, pretty nice looking MC. So anyone looking for a nice MC to complete their collection or take aim at a lower apr, shoot for it. 

Dps:  EQ 733 29hps , yikes,  Aaoa 3.1 years  Aaya 1 month low income

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
snickerpedia
Frequent Contributor

Re: Orion Federal Credit Union MC

Congrats on your approval!! Do you know if they pull chex for membership or just the equifax hard pull??

TU - 785
EX - 771
EQ - 779

Citi premier 13
CSP 29
X1 33.5k
/CIU 6k
Message 2 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whelp, there goes the flood gates. 

Good win AJC!

Do they use Chexsystems?

Message 3 of 58
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 4 of 58
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Orion FCU approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval AJC!

What's your DTI like if you don't mind me asking?

Message 6 of 58
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Congrats AJC!! All the cool kids have Orion Federal Credit Union MCs!!😎

Message 7 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

... apr was 12.24% , $1500 limit ...

Nice one, Joey -- Congrats! Smiley Happy & thanks for the intel. Good stuff. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 58
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Congrats AJC!  Thanks for the shout out. 

After @fiddycal told us about AOD, I wondered what other gems might be hiding out there. I spent a ridiculous amount of time that weekend researching card offerings at about 150 purportedly non-geofenced credit unions. Nothing I found compares to AOD for rewards, but there are some good APRs advertised.  

Orion FCU and Dow Chemical Employees CU (which I joined) were the two standouts I mentioned in that thread.  There were a few others that seemed interesting:

• Keesler FCU, from Biloxi, Mississippi, offers a Visa Signature with an APR "as low as the actual prime rate" and 2% cash back, with no mention of categories or caps. Sounds great, but I couldn't see a viable path to membership. I considered joining the Stone County Economic Development Partnership, until I saw that membership starts at $100.
  • Evansville Teachers FCU, from Indiana, advertises a Platinum Prime Plus card with a 6.25% variable APR but no rewards.  The membership app invites non-local applicants to qualify by donating $5 to a local catholic school.
  • Signature FCU, from Alexandria, Virginia, says all of their cards have fixed rates. The Visa Signature goes as low as 8.7% APR and gives 2% cash back. Membership is open to all U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
  • Vision Financial FCU, is a tiny, low-tech CU in Durham, NC. They offer a no-frills Visa Platinum with 7.5% fixed APR. Field of Membership includes members of the North Carolina Consumer Council; no mention of whether ACC membership counts. 

Message 9 of 58
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@snickerpedia wrote:

Congrats on your approval!! Do you know if they pull chex for membership or just the equifax hard pull??

Thanks, as i did not go for a checking, just a shared savings, not sure about Chex. Straight up Equifax pull though,  i applied for membership first so believe  hp is good for 30 days?  I would have to ask that though.

Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.