Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PNC denial. Bank manager reversed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PNC denial. Bank manager reversed.

So my spouse applied for a PNC Cash Rewards card and the system denied him.

I drove him over to the bank yesterday and pointed out his excellent credit rating and solid payment history with 4 existing credit lines from other banks. The manager called a number and talked to their credit card dept and managed to reverse the decision, approving a $2,000 line of credit. 

Not bad. Now he can add me as an authorized user on another account and we will both have five active credit cards showing. 4 AU and 1 Secured for me (Bankruptcy discharged in August.), and 4 unsecured and 1 AU (my secured) for him.

I believe this does get us out of the "thin file" definition.

As he is an immigrant who was just approved for a green card last month, and I'm not even six months post-bankruptcy, I think we've managed to do this very fast.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: PNC denial. Bank manager reversed.

Congratulations on spouse's approval! Great job on the reconsideration.

Message 2 of 17
heeseon
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations 

TU789 EQ786 EX791(05/23)
Message 3 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on the PNC approval after all.

Message 4 of 17
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on spouse's approval!

|  
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

It doesn't matter if someone is an immigrant or not to obtain a credit card so long there is a valid social security number. A lots of people have SSN without being even legal in this country. Many years ago, I think 23 yrs ago, SSA used to give SSN to even illegal people but that changed 20 yrs back.

However, there are certain banks/Credit Unions which specifically ask the applicants if they are a US citizen or not then its a different case.

Message 6 of 17
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Glad that worked out!  That's terrific!  Congratulations on his approval!! 🎉🥂

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous 

It doesn't matter if someone is an immigrant or not to obtain a credit card so long there is a valid social security number. A lots of people have SSN without being even legal in this country. Many years ago, I think 23 yrs ago, SSA used to give SSN to even illegal people but that changed 20 yrs back.

However, there are certain banks/Credit Unions which specifically ask the applicants if they are a US citizen or not then its a different case.

I knew it didn't matter as long as you are honest on the form. Capital One asks, but they approved him for two cards at what seemed like appropriate limits given the circumstances. He had me mail them a photocopy of his Employment Authorization Document and Social Security Card at the time because he was not a LPR yet. Discover asked about immigration status, but then also approved him with a reasonable credit line.

The reason I mentioned he's a recent immigrant is that he did not have an established credit history of any kind when we started, and that has made working with some companies difficult. Further, we got denied for an apartment last year because Screening Reports said his SSN was new and the lady in the office said she thought it was a fake number. I complained to the state Attorney General's office about that as we were not only falsely accused of trying to commit fraud, but they called the cops on us, and when I explained it to the police officer, they laughed and told the lady in the office "It's a real Social Security card. I don't know what you want us to do.".

"Many years ago, I think 23 yrs ago, SSA used to give SSN to even illegal people but that changed 20 yrs back."

No, undocumented immigrants do not get legal Social Security numbers, although everyone is expected to file taxes because that has very little to do with immigration in the sense that if you get money you have to pay taxes on it, and the IRS will issue an ITIN to an undocumented immigrant.

You can apply for, and receive, a "restricted" Social Security card, as a visa holder, but it will say "Not valid for employment without DHS authorization.". If you later get an EAD or green card, then you can show that. If you get a green card, you can apply for Social Security to take the restriction language off your card.

If you apply to adjust status to LPR, then they are going to want to know that you are either filing taxes as required, or they are going to want a statement under oath that you were not required to file.

When anyone asks a LPR or visa immigrant if they are a US citizen, it is very important to say "No, I am not.", because falsely claiming to be a US citizen is grounds for inadmissability and will create problems with USCIS later.

Message 8 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on spouse PNC approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love how you took charge. Congrats!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.