Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Approval with High Util

tag
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

PenFed Approval with High Util

I'd been eying a card with PenFed for a while. I'm auth on my DH's card but only had the Thrifty. I recently had some collections removed from my report, which makes my report relatively clean minus some old baddies so I took a stab at it anyway. Utilization is about 35% across both mine and authed cards.

Approval after review for the Promise Card at $7500 with 17.99 APR. I know the APR is high but that's still lower than some of my store cards that I want to BT. It's an in with them if nothing else.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
rafy023
Regular Contributor

Re: PenFed Approval with High Util

Congratulations on your approval! Don't feel bad about the APR, I just got approved for the Platinum Rewards at a 16.99% with scores in the mid 700s. Like you said, it's lower than most large bank rates anyway and there's always a chance they can lower it in the future (that's what I'm telling myself!). 

FICO 8 Scores
EX: 773
EQ: 784
TU: 772
Message 2 of 11
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

@rafy023 wrote:

Congratulations on your approval! Don't feel bad about the APR, I just got approved for the Platinum Rewards at a 16.99% with scores in the mid 700s. Like you said, it's lower than most large bank rates anyway and there's always a chance they can lower it in the future (that's what I'm telling myself!). 

Wow, for the mid 700s? Now I really don't feel bad. I'm in the mid-600s right now due to util. They seem to be a tough nut to crack anyway. DH is in the high 700s and they only gave him a $5000 limit with 11% APR.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 3 of 11
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congrats 🎉🎈🎊🍾 @lindsaydruart on your PenFed Approval

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 4 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on yer PenFed ApprovalSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy thats a pretty inpressive limit for Penfed especially with high utilization. EnjoySmiley Happy
Message 6 of 11
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 7 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Congrats with PenFed.

Message 8 of 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 9 of 11
rafy023
Regular Contributor

@lindsaydruart wrote:

@rafy023 wrote:

Wow, for the mid 700s? Now I really don't feel bad. I'm in the mid-600s right now due to util. They seem to be a tough nut to crack anyway. DH is in the high 700s and they only gave him a $5000 limit with 11% APR.

Yeah, the only thing that made me smile is they started me with a $7500 limit. I'll be happy I was able to get in and hope I can increase that limit significantly in 6 months or so and get the APR lowered at some point. 

FICO 8 Scores
EX: 773
EQ: 784
TU: 772
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.