Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CLI and Rate Reduction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed CLI and Rate Reduction

I applied for a CLI on the plat rewards sig yesterday and received a notice my application had been approved. Went to check the terms and was a little disapointed in my CLI of only 500, making my total CL 6500. I was, however, ecstatic about the rate decrease. I went from 17.74 down to 10.74.

Data points:
Card balance: 25/6000
Fico NG2: 695
Fico 08 Experian: 680
Card was opened 4 months ago and this was my first increase. I used the same pull from a personal loan I had taken out the week prior.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: PenFed CLI and Rate Reduction

Congrats!.For now seems you may be at your max with them . Interesting they lowered the Apr. I understand its normally kept as is at least for first year. Well done. Remember you can try to recon the cli either by sm or wait for the survey to voice your disappointment.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That may be the case. I have been with them for awhile and have 6 other products with them (cc's, loans, checking/savings). Will update if I get a CLI offer during account review.
Message 3 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
That may be the case. I have been with them for awhile and have 6 other products with them (cc's, loans, checking/savings). Will update if I get a CLI offer during account review.

Out of curiousness how did you find out about the APR reduction?  I dont see it anywhere other than statements when i am online with penfed or did you call them?  I have also asked fof an APR reduction before and they stated they don't do that without applying for a new card for a lower APR, but have heard cases where one gets them if asked.. Reason I asked is got approved for 30k 2 months ago on power cash card then last week got a SP CLI to 35k by the same pull as card and auto loan and PLOC..  Wondering how to check if my APR went down as nextgen was 706 I believe at time

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I log into the app on iOS I can go to my application status which shows approved. Under loan details it shows application date and Rate. To get my actual CLI I had to use the web portal.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI I screenshots this too in case of any discrepancies.
Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good question CC. i was actually going to comment on that but wasnt sure of myself. When i finally got my 1st cli on my Promise, they originally said my apr was lowered, but then i was told no that wasnt the case it has to be a new application.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess I will find out soon. Smiley Happy How did you originally find out about lowered APR on first CLI? We're you able to get them to change their minds afterwards?
Message 8 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No, actually when they finally gave me it, after recon of course, i guess the way they sent me the email was as if it was a new app. It was like Congrats on your new limit and this is your apr. But when i talked to a rep who cslled me to talk about my recon message and survey, she told me my apr was the same. I should call or sm to see if they can verify it as i just assume its at the original 17.99Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Out of curiousness how did you find out about the APR reduction?  I dont see it anywhere other than statements when i am online with penfed or did you call them?  I have also asked fof an APR reduction before and they stated they don't do that without applying for a new card for a lower APR, but have heard cases where one gets them if asked.. Reason I asked is got approved for 30k 2 months ago on power cash card then last week got a SP CLI to 35k by the same pull as card and auto loan and PLOC..  Wondering how to check if my APR went down as nextgen was 706 I believe at time

I lucked into an APR reduction on my account when I reconned my starting limit.  Initial SL was for $5,500, reconned up to $10,000.  When I was checking my applications through their Android app I noticed it said approved and an APR of 10.24%.  The initial approval was for 17ish%.  When my first statement cut it was still at the 17% rate.  I took a screen shot of the 10.24% approval and sent a few emails/SMs.  They honored the lower rate since I had the proof that I was "approved" for that rate.  I also noticed that there were a couple of other apps that had notes/comments saying not approved due to varying reasons.  It almost appear as though an approval can be granted and then overturned by maybe a higher ranking LO.  I noticed this after I was declined for the PLOC from them.  I apped, got under review, and was ultimately declined.  One app showed up as 3 in my applications area.  One specifically said in the comments that the application had been withdrawn, and the next was declined.  I'm thinking perhaps I was initially "approved", but was overturned by a different LO.  Food for thought.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.