Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Double Approval!

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

PenFed Double Approval!

Ok so I’m going to start by saying I know I’ve posted a few times that I was going to be a good girl and not apply for anything. I’ve been a bad girl and I’m sorry!!

I called Equifax yesterday to ask about when some accounts were going to fall off with them. Pretty much all my bad late accounts/collection account are set to fall off by the end of this year, latest January. I kept asking about the one collection on there and she was like what collection?? You have no collections. My jaw hit the floor because even EX won’t remove this collection account yet, but EQ will?? I didn’t ask them to, it just came off.

I’ve been wanting to get a card with PenFed since I opened my car loan with them in 2017, but back then, my scores were in the mid 500’s. I don’t even know how they approved me for a car loan! I went on the website, clicked on a random card just to see what they asked for. I hit continue, not even meaning to apply (stupid, I know!).

APPROVED FOR $8,000! My highest card limit is $1,500 with Discover. But wait! I didn’t even want that card! So I waited till this morning, called PenFed and talked to the most amazing person, Rick. He laughed at me when I told him I applied for the wrong card and said in his 30 years of working in finance, has never had anyone call with this problem lol.

He said ok I have an idea! What card do you want? I told him the Power Cash Rewards. He goes through the motions and says ok you’re approved for $10,000, which is the max for new credit card members. He told me when I get the gold card, to call in and cancel it, but then was like wait! No, no, no... I have a BETTER idea! Activate that Gold card and the Power Cash when you get them, call us back when you do, and tell us you had a change of heart and want to combine the Gold and the Power Cash! He said you’ll then have a limit of $18,000!!! 18 thousand f****** dollars!!

And that is the story of how I got double approved with PenFed and got a limit of $18,000 on one card.

By the way, I asked him if he could tell me what my EQ score was when they pulled it and he said I can’t tell you, but I’ll give you a hint. It’s 3/4 past 600 🤣 I still have 3 accounts on EQ with 120+ lates, set to fall off in Dec according to the EQ rep.
I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Double Approval!

I've read quite a few but that is one helluva story. Congrats! to you, Q. Wow!

Message 2 of 21
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

That was a fun story, congrats to you Op on the mistake and hail mary save!!!   "I'll give you a hint it's 3/4 past 600" - Classic.

Message 3 of 21
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

You’re telling me! I was impressed with $8,000, but $18,000 SL?? What the fluff?!? I was an AU on my dad’s PenFed card for like a year, but he had it maxed out $15,000/$16,000. I had them remove me a few months ago and my score shot up after that.
I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 4 of 21
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

LOL! That guy was amazing! I told him my score with EQ was originally like 631 when I pulled it last month and he goes, yup! You’ve managed to go up 45 points haha. I swear, every time I call PenFed, I feel like I’ve made a new friend.

Message 5 of 21
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:
LOL! That guy was amazing! I told him my score with EQ was originally like 631 when I pulled it last month and he goes, yup! You’ve managed to go up 45 points haha. I swear, every time I call PenFed, I feel like I’ve made a new friend.

That's a good relationship to have with your Bank/CU!  I'd say you also got lucky with a great CSR who not only knew what he was doing, but also had your side when it ultimately came down to choosing to close one or be able to merge both, since they were both so new.  I'm not familiar with Penfed personally but that's still a great approval story and outcome.   Ouch, look at the time, it's about 1/3rd past 12:00 better run.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

As odd as that may sound, I've had the same experience.  They've some great conversationalists over there at PenFed.  My wife just got 25K on a NFCU GoRewards.  I wondering if she should pull the trigger at PenFed.

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Message 7 of 21
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the double approval! That's awesome!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 8 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big congratsSmiley Happy Only Penfed could be so flip coin lol. Definitely hit a nice PF lottoSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 21
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Hi! I’m Rick! I just proposed and got engaged last night! This morning I came to work with a promotion and a 100% pay raise!

I’m soooo having a blast!!! 

Ok I wonder who my 1st call-in customer would be.... “Thanks for calling Penfed how may I....”

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.