tag
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed Gold Visa Signature Approval

@AllZero wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

Congrats on your approval! Give it 6 months and ask for an interest reduction!

I dont believe Pf works like that. Getting apr redux from Penfed is like pulling teeth, if they do it at all. Ime/imo Smiley Wink

Worked for me! Although it was pretty close to a year when I asked.  Everything at Penfed incurs a HP. I'm afraid to ask for my balance in the off chance it will incur another HP.

Can you elaborate on this previous process for others (including me of course Smiley Wink)?

I called the credit department and asked asked for an account review for an APR reduction. I use the card often and PIF or small cary over of 5% or less, I offset the request telling the rep the APR reduction would fit my needs more than a CLI. As always with any request from Penfed is a HP.  I was at 12.32% and my next gen score with them was around 770.  I asked for the lowest APR and about 10 minutes later they came back approved at 8.49%. I'm building up my list to see how much I can do on one HP with them when I get done gardening. I do a fair amount of banking with them as I find this help when making requests. 

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 21 of 41
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@NimbusIII  Thank you very much for sharing that excellent data point! PenFed APR reduction hasn't been discussed much. That is very useful information!

Message 22 of 41
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@NimbusIII  Thank you very much for sharing that excellent data point! PenFed APR reduction hasn't been discussed much. That is very useful information!

+1

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 23 of 41
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval! 👍

Message 25 of 41
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@NimbusIII wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

I dont believe Pf works like that. Getting apr redux from Penfed is like pulling teeth, if they do it at all. Ime/imo Smiley Wink

Worked for me! Although it was pretty close to a year when I asked.  Everything at Penfed incurs a HP. I'm afraid to ask for my balance in the off chance it will incur another HP.

PENFED Doesn't do APR reductions unless you get a CLI increase on the card then they "might" lower it at that time otherwise they do not do it I have banked with them 4-5 years as my primary FI and have a few cards with them and it is a simple nope, we dont' do apr reductions.  Only time I have seen them is on CLI's on occassion.  I have two cards with them one being PCR for close to 4 years at 35k no APR reduction and the other one being Penfed Travel card at 12k no APR reduction (newer card).  Shocked they did it for you as pretty cut and dry although you did take a HP, so they might of treated it as a CLI request and did it for that reason.  I would personally never take a HP just for a APR reduction though it would hav etc include a CLI as well to even consider it.

Message 26 of 41
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

@NimbusIII wrote:

PENFED Doesn't do APR reductions unless you get a CLI increase on the card then they "might" lower it at that time otherwise they do not do it I have banked with them 4-5 years as my primary FI and have a few cards with them and it is a simple nope, we dont' do apr reductions.  Only time I have seen them is on CLI's on occassion.  I have two cards with them one being PCR for close to 4 years at 35k no APR reduction and the other one being Penfed Travel card at 12k no APR reduction (newer card).  Shocked they did it for you as pretty cut and dry although you did take a HP, so they might of treated it as a CLI request and did it for that reason.  I would personally never take a HP just for a APR reduction though it would hav etc include a CLI as well to even consider it.

Wow... this is sad as I got the gold card for a lower APR and I already have my NFCU Flagship with $25K CL and a 11.24% APR. I will probably have to get another CC with PenFed in the distant future and see if I can't get a lower APR on that card. It seems like this gold card is destined for the SD before I even receive it.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 27 of 41
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

I have banked with them for almost the same amount of time.  I had no issues with my request and it wasn't even a question as to them doing it.  They just said it would require a hard pull. I bank in Hawaii but the call center for credit is centralized.  I personally had an easy experience with my request so it sounds like it might be a YMMV scenario.

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 28 of 41
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS on your PenFed Gold Visa Signature approval and Welcome to the PenFed family!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 29 of 41
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

Very niceSmiley Happy. PF likes to reward people with high aprSmiley Wink

AJC - thet's TOO FUNNY! Smiley LOL

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.