Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Gold Visa and Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card Approval

tag
jberry
Contributor

PenFed Gold Visa and Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card Approval

My credit isnt where its supposed to be. Around 683 to 696 (FICO 8) across the 3 bureaus (should be higehr) So I have been in the garden, doing my best to pay off my cards so my score will increase, always had the idea of getting another credit card to increase my overall utilization, but decided to stop with the inquires and just pay off my cards. Then my best friend was looking for a balance transfer card, she apped for navy federal but only got $3000 (needed at least $10,000 limit for BT), she has been a member for 6 months at NavyFed. I mentioned that PenFed has a great balance trasnfer card the Gold Card, and notice alot here on myFICO getting high limits, while texting her, she applied and got approved for $17,500 at 15.49%! She was in shock (she does have a car loan with them). Told my DearWife about it, and then she apps and gets the same! $17,500 at 15.49%! (DW has a car loan with PenFed as well) They both have in common maxed out Chase credit cards lol! So they wanna transfer all from Chase to PenFed.

I then get jealous! and im like my score should be higher than them! they were both around 670 FICO 9. I checked my PenFed FICO 9 score pulled around May and it was 670. I'm like what the hell, I had like 3 car loans with them in the past, currently a student loan, 2 credit cards, one card doesnt even exist anymore. They even denied me for a CLI! for my PenFed cash rewards SL was $7,000 wanted it higher but denied.

I apped for the Gold Card, went into under review, says member has a negative share balance? I called them up asking what does that mean? they said its a comptuer error, I do have at least $5 in my savings, and I will get a decision soon. Couple hours later, boom! $5,000 at 17.99%.... mehh... I guess that'll do. Then the next day I remember from reading the forums here, that PenFed keeps the hard pull for a bit, so I app about 2 days later for the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Card (I dont like this card my DW has it, points are only good for like gift certificates), no additional hard pull, and it goes under review, over the weekend, 5 days later, approved for $5,000 same APR. So I'm like okay, no hard pull total $10,000 not bad. I'm sure I got a lower approval amount from my recent new accounts the last year and inquries, they pulled Equifax, I have about 9 inquiries on there, about 2 new accounts the last 6 months, Utilization around 58%, now will be lower thanks to the $10,000. I havn't even received my Gold Card yet, but its showing on my credit report already. P.S. not sure why PenFed shows the older design of the credit cards.. I like the older design of the platinum rewards, the new design isnt as nice.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.35.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-27 at 11.37.19 AM.png

15 REPLIES 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: PenFed Gold Visa and Platinum Rewards Visa Signature® Card Approval

Message 2 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Congrats to you, DW and family friend!

You guys have been running amock on Penfed lately.😆

Message 3 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulatons on BF, DW and your approvals!

Message 4 of 16
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Congratulations to you and DW on your approvals!!! On a side note, I hope your middle name is Quincy- I just said that entire name like 10 times in my best James Earl Jones (MOD CUT- No full names) and Samuel L. Jackson voices, both were awesome. You should try it Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jberry Congrats on your approvals!
I deleted the photos bc it showed your full name. You can repost but be sure the smudge out your name. 

Message 6 of 16
slickwidit
Established Contributor

Congratulations 🎉🎈🎊 

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOOM! Congrats on the approval!

And don't "MEH" the SL... it'll hopefully grow... just remember, tightened belts these days... almost glad to have any approval!

Message 8 of 16
jberry
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BOOM! Congrats on the approval!

Thank you!! Smiley Very Happy

And don't "MEH" the SL... it'll hopefully grow... just remember, tightened belts these days... almost glad to have any approval!

Yes you're right... I am happy though I got approved, thanks!

@slickwidit wrote:

Congratulations 🎉🎈🎊 

Thank you!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@jberry Congrats on your approvals!
I deleted the photos bc it showed your full name. You can repost but be sure the smudge out your name. 

Ah okay! Thank you!

@nuohlac wrote:

Congratulations to you and DW on your approvals!!! On a side note, I hope your middle name is Quincy- I just said that entire name like 10 times in my best James Earl Jones (MOD CUT- No full names) and Samuel L. Jackson voices, both were awesome. You should try it Smiley Wink

Haha sorry no middle name isn't Quincy lol

@AllZero wrote:

Congratulatons on BF, DW and your approvals!

Thank you!! Sir!!

@Gmood1 wrote:

Congrats to you, DW and family friend!

You guys have been running amock on Penfed lately.😆

Hahahah yeah it seems like that.

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Thank you!! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the PenFed approvals!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.