Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed (Shocked)

tag
xkaosx
Regular Contributor

PenFed (Shocked)

On a sleepy dreary night searching forums and looking for ideas on how to refi my 19% car loan.

I saw PenFed was fairly generous for approvals so I said screw it. My current info listed below

2012 or so started a chap 13 fell behind on payments after a layoff and had to convert to a chap 7 which was discharged like 5/2017

I immediately got the normal start cards (Indigo, Credit One, First Future) also a car loan and last month I just got approve 1k for Capital One. (all cards combined about 3000$ limit and under 20% usage. LOTS of inq's over the last 1-2 years. Dont know who they pulled but it wasnt Experian because I didnt get an alert.

Current Scores are like 650-680

Apply for card and I am shocked with a 10k Pathfinder Rewards Amex

Is this some kind of sick joke where they are going to look over something and revoke it? haha

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed (Shocked)

@xkaosx wrote:

On a sleepy dreary night searching forums and looking for ideas on how to refi my 19% car loan.

I saw PenFed was fairly generous for approvals so I said screw it. My current info listed below

2012 or so started a chap 13 fell behind on payments after a layoff and had to convert to a chap 7 which was discharged like 5/2017

I immediately got the normal start cards (Indigo, Credit One, First Future) also a car loan and last month I just got approve 1k for Capital One. (all cards combined about 3000$ limit and under 20% usage. LOTS of inq's over the last 1-2 years. Dont know who they pulled but it wasnt Experian because I didnt get an alert.

Current Scores are like 650-680

Apply for card and I am shocked with a 10k Pathfinder Rewards Amex

Is this some kind of sick joke where they are going to look over something and revoke it? haha

Congratulations on your Amex Pathfinder approval.  You actually got the maximum amount PenFed gives to new members and they pull Equifax FICO 9 score.

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 28
xkaosx
Regular Contributor

I should prob get some advice then- they offered 12 months interest free balance transfer and 16.7% after which is still better than the 

rate on my car loan at 18.99%. Would I be able to balance transfer my car loan balance of about $5000?

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Congratulations!!!

I applied for the same card with PenFed just last week with scores 684-714 and they told me to go kick rocks. When I called for a recon the guy was pretty much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Even when I asked about a secured version. I was also turned down a year ago and that resulted in some tips, which I followed and exceeded, to no avail. My request for suggestions this time resulted in: "I don't know. Maybe try again in a year."

Glad to see you were able to get the service that I usually hear about because I was incredibly disappointed with the treatment I got.
Message 5 of 28
xkaosx
Regular Contributor

Forgot i did all 3 in June and my Equifax is 688. Here were my details if you want to compare

Accounts Summary
Open Credit Cards
Open Retail Cards
Open Real Estate Loans
Open Installment Loans
Total Open Accounts
Accounts Ever Late
Collections Accounts
Time Since Negative
1 Year 4 Months
Average Account Age
6 Years 3 Months
Oldest Account
18 Years 1 Month
My Debt Summary
Credit and Retail Card Debt
$647
Real Estate Debt
$0
Installment Loans Debt
$5,480
Collections Debt
$0
Total Debt
$6,127
Message 6 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy. If you dont mind sharing, what income do you report? The 2 factors that may have played in your favor is the lack of alot of credit and low dti. Because with a bk that means you joined dirty and for alot of us that holds us back. Well doneSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 28
xkaosx
Regular Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
CongratsSmiley Happy. If you dont mind sharing, what income do you report? The 2 factors that may have played in your favor is the lack of alot of credit and low dti. Because with a bk that means you joined dirty and for alot of us that holds us back. Well doneSmiley Happy

Message 8 of 28
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nice! Congratulations!!!

I applied for the same card with PenFed just last week with scores 684-714 and they told me to go kick rocks. When I called for a recon the guy was pretty much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Even when I asked about a secured version. I was also turned down a year ago and that resulted in some tips, which I followed and exceeded, to no avail. My request for suggestions this time resulted in: "I don't know. Maybe try again in a year."

Glad to see you were able to get the service that I usually hear about because I was incredibly disappointed with the treatment I got.

You should have got their card unless you have ton of inquiries or new accounts, which is also why they dont want to increase my limit. But i am just a 3 month old member with them. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xkaosx wrote:

I should prob get some advice then- they offered 12 months interest free balance transfer and 16.7% after which is still better than the 

rate on my car loan at 18.99%. Would I be able to balance transfer my car loan balance of about $5000?

Super Congrats on your Pen Fed Pathfinder Amex $10,000 SL! Smiley Very Happy

Credit card balance transfers are a "like for like" transaction,

which means you can only transfer CC balances from other cards.

If you just wanted to use your new Pathfinder card, you would

have to call Pen Fed and ask how much of your 10k SL is a cash advance

and get the % rate.The only drawback is that your initial utilization will be

at 50%. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. There are better options.

Now that Pen Fed has hard pulled your Equifax FICO 9 score,

your hard pull is good for 30-90 days. So in your specific case,

you could apply for an auto refi loan or consolidation loan at a much

better rate than 18.99%. Contact Pen Fed for their exact rates.

Congrats again on your Amex Pathfinder approval.

Thanks so much for sharing! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.