Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Visa Signature Approval

tag
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

PenFed Visa Signature Approval

This has to be the last credit card I get for at least a year.  I justified this because I'm traveling in Europe a couple times this year, and I wanted a chip Visa with no foreign transaction fees; I have a couple AmEx cards, but they're not as universally accepted.  If I'm being honest, 50% of the reason was just to see if I could get it.

Approved for $10,000 at highest rate (17.99%).  My Fico 9 is 699 right now.

MUST.  STOP.  APPLYING.

I was very disciplined in the year or so leading up to my condo purchase.  

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Visa Signature Approval

congrats this card will grow nicely as well. 

Message 2 of 13
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@JayTee1 wrote:

This has to be the last credit card I get for at least a year.  I justified this because I'm traveling in Europe a couple times this year, and I wanted a chip Visa with no foreign transaction fees; I have a couple AmEx cards, but they're not as universally accepted.  If I'm being honest, 50% of the reason was just to see if I could get it.

You should feel dirty you selfish greedy person, lol.

Approved for $10,000 at highest rate (17.99%).  My Fico 9 is 699 right now.

MUST.  STOP.  APPLYING.---------->Good luck Robot Very Happy

I was very disciplined in the year or so leading up to my condo purchase.  

Congrats and great SL! How long have you been a member of Penfed?

Message 3 of 13
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Um, for one day.  <rationalize>I am, however, also moving my checking and savings there.  I will need an auto loan in another 18 months or so, and their rates are better than my current CU's rates.  Plus, I'm encouraged that I already have this one card plus I opened a small line of credit for overdraft protection.  My score should be in the high 700s/low 800s by the time I will need the auto loan, but still ... I dont' have any credit products with my current CU.</rationalize>

I should also amend my original post to say my interest rate wasn't the very worst, it's 17.74%, not 17.99%.  Smiley Very Happy

In all seriousness, I am headed to the garden for a while.  I can't really even invent a reason to get another credit card right now; barely was able to invent a reason for this one.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  Well done. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super approval! Love your honesty. We’re in the same boat. It’s like my keyboard finger has a mind of its own. Lol. I’m resting until April though. Now, if a Stellar pre-approval should pass my way, then.............Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations for joining PENFED, getting the card and OD protection! As one of the other posters responded, this card will grow nicely in the future. You mentioned that that your moving most if not all of your accounts over (getting car loan down the road), have you tried for navy federal as well? Again congratulations and good luck.

Message 7 of 13
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

I have not.  My dad was in the service decades ago.  My brother was in the air force for a minute, but I don't think I can qualify.  I joined Pen Fed by contributing $17 to the families of service members organization.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your PenFed membership and excellent SL on your Visa Signature card.

I think you can qualify for NFCU membership if you know your relative's service dates and discharge status.  If you search around the forums you'd see several examples of this; there are people who qualified even though the "sponsoring" service member is deceased.

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy, yeah look into Navy , you should qualify through your DadSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.