Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed lost app, so applied again - approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed lost app, so applied again - approved

Friday and Saturday went on an app spree because my credit score was being hurt by having no credit cards. Had a savings account with PenFed several years ago but apparently they closed it because when I tried to login to my profile it said I had no accounts. So when I applied online for their cash rewards visa I didn’t do it as a member and I got a message that they needed to review or verify my information and would get back to me in a few days.

So I applied for several other cards and was approved for a few, but today I decided to call PenFed and try to fix my membership with them because I got an email that said I had opted out of emessages which I didn’t do. I called and filled out a new application with a HP, deposited money, and the guy told me that now I would be able to set up a login with my old user ID. Well, I tried and it didn’t work so I called back. The lady walked me through setting up an online account with a new user ID, apparently there was no way to use my old one.

Afterwards, she asked me if I wanted to apply for any of their products and I told her I already had applied for the cash rewards visa. She said she couldn’t see it in the system and we both thought PenFed had lost my application. So, I reapplied over the phone with her, since she said the vast majority of the time the system will use the same HP in the same day, and was approved for the card with a $9500 credit limit.

So I would say it’s a good idea to set up your membership with them first and open a savings account before trying to apply for a credit card or anything else with them. Otherwise they very well may lose your application.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed lost app, so applied again - approved

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you open a checking account with them the cash back changes from 1.5% to 2% on everything.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. Nice SL. It’s PenFed so I’d bet it was an EQ pull. Care to share score data points for the field?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let’s see, my EQ Fico 8 was 752 when I started my app spree but now I’ve got 10 inquiries and just pulled it again today to see the effect and it’s 714. Pen Fed was the last CC to pull my EQ, so I’d say my score was closer to 714, but I also don’t know what my FICO 9 was. No derogs but I have a thin file with just student loans in repayment (not paid down much) and one closed by credit grantor chase card I was an AU on.

My spree was very hit and miss. Got a lot of “we need to review or verify this, we’ll get back to you in a week.” Got approved for WF Cash Wise at $12,500, HSBC some kind of cash rewards card for $2750, Discover IT for $800, and was denied for a Walmart store card.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked my EQ to make sure I was giving you good info, and I have 12 inquiries, closed Chase card is reporting as open on EQ with $0/$1500 balance, and I have a couple of other old closed CCs on there.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Good info.

Congrats on the other approvals too. The Discover should grow with future SP requests. Great SL on the WF card. Was the HSBC an instant approval? I applied with them back in October and the verification process took so long that my report freeze lifts expired and I ultimately let my application expire.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, the HSBC was an instant approval. Don’t know why some approved instantly while Discover needed a copy of my Drivers License and SS Card, and Menards needs pay stubs and a W2. I thought the store cards would be easier to get, but the only one that approved me instantly was Maurices.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.