Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Pathfinder Amex Pre-Approval offer while on blacklist

tag
Buckwheat2U
Regular Contributor

Penfed Pathfinder Amex Pre-Approval offer while on blacklist

This is interesting in that once the scores updated for the quarter I got a preapproval offer on the website (already have a PF Power Cash $1800 CL) for a host of products but took them up on the Pathfinder due to no annual fee and the credit for TSA/Global Entry.   DC a CH13 BK in Aug 2017 and I burned Amex for a tidy sum as I had 3 cards with them (about 70K worth) but paid back about 65% under the BK so I am fairly sure I'm on their "never again" list yet I now have the Amex with a nice CL of $13900.   How is that possible?  I would think when they ran the SP that Amex would have shut that down.   I tried Barclays for the AA Aviator about 8 months ago and they immediately went to a decline (no HP so at least they have some mercy) due to a card I had that they purchased being IIB so I would have thought the same about Amex.   Wondering if anyone had similar experience.  In any case, thanks PenFed!

As of 7/26/2020

Amazon-Prime-Store-Card
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Penfed Pathfinder Amex while on blacklist

That's not an Amex issued card, it only uses Amex's network 

In any case, congrats on your approval 

Message 2 of 8
Buckwheat2U
Regular Contributor

Makes sense.  I wondered about that myself but thanks for confirming.  Note to self, don't try Amex directly Smiley LOL

As of 7/26/2020

Amazon-Prime-Store-Card
Message 3 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Penfed Pathfinder Amex Pre-Approval offer while on blacklist

Congrats on your new cardSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

There is evidence that Amex does let people back in after 7 to 10 years. So maybe after that BK ages more you might be allowed back in. Hard to tell.
Message 5 of 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

You can find out if you are off the AMEX blacklist (Centurion Bank issued) by asking a friend or family member to add you as an authorized user to their card -- if you are on the blacklist they will not permit you to be an authorized user or have an account of your own.

Also, at this time (and as far back as I can remember) you can apply anytime for an AMEX and they will first run you through their internal system and if you are blacklisted you will get an instant denial and they will NOT do a hard pull on any of your credit reports.   So you can apply at anytime and if rejected no HP and no new account with AMEX.

Note at some time in the future this could change but it has been the situation for years now.

Message 6 of 8
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Buckwheat2U wrote:

Makes sense.  I wondered about that myself but thanks for confirming.  Note to self, don't try Amex directly Smiley LOL

Oh yes you can and you should!! 

Trying Amex while BL is like being able to hit someone who’s only alowed to give you the finger! Lol

App’ing while BL with Amex doesn’t even give you a SP much so a HP. It’s their ultimate finger of “auto-decline”! Lol

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Pathfinder approval!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.