Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed madness🤑

tag
Openwater
Established Contributor

Re: Penfed madness🤑

Were you a member of Penfed when you got your Platinum Rewards in June? And was your husband a member when he got the 2 cards in August? Meaning did you join Penfed by requesting credit, or did you become a CU member, and then ask them for credit?

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. I too felt the love on my 2 new accounts with them. Got the Pathfinder Amex about 6 months ago with a SL of $10,000 and then the Power Cash 4 months ago with a SL of $10,000. Beginning of December asked for CLI on Amex and approved to $17,500, then right before New Years asked for CLI on Power Cash and was also bumped to $17,500. That should mean there is a $15,000 approval waiting for me some day. LOL. 

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes husband and I were both members FIRST. We both joined in August of 2018. Took almost a year for us to receive credit after both being denied when we first joined .

Nothing really changed in our credit profiles except being Members for almost a year .

Message 23 of 38
Openwater
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes husband and I were both members FIRST. We both joined in August of 2018. Took almost a year for us to receive credit after both being denied when we first joined .

Nothing really changed in our credit profiles except being Members for almost a year .

Awesome, final question... Do you use them as your main bank/CU. Reason being, I've read about how great they are, and I'm mosting intersted in their credit. I have a CU that I have a great relationship with, and have a CC with them, but Penfed credit is much better. I think the rewards they offer are amazing. Would you suggest opeing an account with them and just holding some funds there? Or are they more intersted in seeing someone that is an active account holder?

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened with $10 into an account. Have not put anything else into it. But about to start using them for savings.
Message 25 of 38
financialfreedom777
Regular Contributor

Same here, I opened it a month ago with just $25, though only $20 is available. Will slowly start staying some $ in there till I am ready to apply for a card with them (6 month min till my score inches up)
Starting Score: 12/18/2019 EQ 601 | TU 614 | EX 596
Current Score after recent fall from grace: 02/8/2023 EQ 647 | TU 660 | EX 663
Goal Score: 780

Message 26 of 38
disney2
Regular Contributor

I know you weren't asking me particularly but in my case, I was a member several years with $5 in the account and got approval for a card with them last week.

Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been putting our savings into our account with penfed . We switched from our main bank savings account to them , so that may have helped , we have a rental so each month we take that income and I alternate putting it into my husbands savings account or mine . Once I got approved with their credit cards I stopped and have been putting that extra income into our main banking savings account again . I am not quite sure if putting money into a account “helps “ per say. From everything I have read about penfed , I think either they like your profile or they don’t . I don’t think having money in their accounts would change their minds if there were issues with your credit profile that they didn’t like , but other members might say otherwise 🤗
Message 28 of 38
SifiUSa
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I agree cause when I open mine I was approved for a car refi and a credit card in the same week. Like many banks they like you or not...Peter

Message 29 of 38
SifiUSa
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
We have been putting our savings into our account with penfed . We switched from our main bank savings account to them , so that may have helped , we have a rental so each month we take that income and I alternate putting it into my husbands savings account or mine . Once I got approved with their credit cards I stopped and have been putting that extra income into our main banking savings account again . I am not quite sure if putting money into a account “helps “ per say. From everything I have read about penfed , I think either they like your profile or they don’t . I don’t think having money in their accounts would change their minds if there were issues with your credit profile that they didn’t like , but other members might say otherwise 🤗

Yes, I agree with you depend if they like you or not......Peter

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.