Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Card Strategy from the Pros - Update: PRG Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Card Strategy from the Pros - Update: PRG Approved

Hey All,

I need to get your suggestions on what I should do about applying for a new card.  I had been waiting for 9/15 to roll around because an old BS charge-off was supposed to fall off my EX, but they are not removing it until March (I will spare you the details) and have a second that will fall off September 2019.  TU and EQ are clean. 

Stats:

Ex: 717

TU: 820

EQ: 815

All FICO 8 from EX 3-Bureau Subscription

AAoA - 10 years

Current: Paypal, 2% Cashback, opened 12/2017 $10K Limit, relatively happy but very limited benefits.

Chase Freedom Authorized User opened 1994 $25K limit.

Employee Amex Platinum

Employee Amex Gold (different company)

Closed In Good Standing: Amex Gold from about 2005 closed maybe 2011, Chase Saphire closed about 2011, PC Richards (Synch maybe), and a Brooks Brothers card that my parents opened in my name without my knowledge! Haha.

Before learning about the charge-off not falling off for another six months my plan was to app for either the AA Executive as I fly a lot on AA and the lounge benefits are helpful, Citi Prestige, or maybe Amex Platinum, but there are problems with all three.  AA is crappy except for the lounge access and SUB plus I am gold so have free checked bag and early entry, Citi Prestige no longer exists, and I have the best Platinum features for me (Centurian Lounges) with the corporate card and I pretty much never have extra airline fees (seat upgrades, baggage fees, etc.).  I am 90% dedicated to American Airlines and generally try to stay in boutique hotels rather than large chains.

Pre-Qual:

Amex: Platinum normal SUB, EDP at the lowest rate 30K SUB, and that new card

Citi: Premier at the lowest rate

BOA: Travel Rewards NOT a set rate

Not interested in Discover or Barclays and Chase is a no-go because of my charge-off.

My ultimate goal is to get the CityNational Crystal as this card tick all the boxes for what I am looking for, and I would like to move a significant amount of business banking over to them as I am frustrated with Chase, and they specialize in our business.  As a result, it probably makes sense to focus on either Amex or ThankYou programs, so I have some flexibility with transit partners.  I should also mention that I think I will be done applying for cards after these two.

Option A: Do nothing for a year and wait for pristine credit before applying (boring)

B: wait for six months so that only one charge-off is still on the acct.

C: Roll the dice and go for something. 

I could apply for the Navy Federal Flagship as they apparently do not usually pull EX, but someone mentioned on some thread that there is some disadvantage to CU cards.

What do you all think I should do?

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Personal Card Strategy from the Pros

Just wanted to comment that NFCU is an excellent CU.

They pull TU for new CC's most frequently..

I can't think of any disadvantage to CU cards that can't be said about any other card.. AAshrugs.gif

With your scores, I would join & App Navy.. They also just enhanced the benefits to the Flagship recently. 

Good Luck on your quest. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

The only issue I see with NFCU is it is I cannot transfer points.  I am actually already a member and have been very happy with my interactions (except for one annoying thing) thus far!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are dedicated to American Airlines I would get Citi AA and Barclay Aviator.  Barclay pulls Trans Union.  So you should be a shoe-in for that.  Citi usually pulls Equifax or Experian.  Either way your scores should be good enough.  

Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What is CitiNational Crystal?
Message 5 of 9
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
What is CitiNational Crystal?

He meant CityNational Bank Crystal Visa Infinite Card

https://www.cnb.com/lending/cards/individual/crystal-credit-card.asp

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct.

Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im suprised we dont see more about that card here. Wonder why?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue with CityNational is they will only approve if you live in a state where they have a branch.  They have a few in NY (for me), CA, Nashville, and a few others.  They are apparently also very into relationship banking so you have to apply in branch.  I think the rewards are awesome.

To give a very boring conclusion to this post, I just applied and was approved for Amex PRG!  I did it assuming the rumors are true about the change of rewards.  If they are this card works great for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I appreciate it!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.