Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Platinum Amex on a Whim - Instant Approval - Beyond ecstatic

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Platinum Amex on a Whim - Instant Approval - Beyond ecstatic

I've been wanting to apply for the Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve, but have been waiting for my scores to hit over 700 and also waiting for at least April on the CSR because I want to try for the bonus (I got the CSP bonus in March 2016).

My FAKO scores in December (2017) were in the low 600s. MyFico8 scores as of 2-20 were EQ 729 TU 698 and EX 665. I know Amex pulls EX, and I am still waiting on some balances to update to bring my utilization to under 5%. I was recently denied a CLI increase on my SPG card (which is annoying because I managed to get $30K in spend on the card last year with a $1K CL), so I was not expecting any love on a new card. 

Any hoo, I was checking for my offers and it kept asking me to log in (even on the incognito site) and taking me to the page that had featured cards consisting of BC, ED and Delta Reserve (upgrade option only). Clicked on ED and thought about trying for it. The page come up and said expanding your membership is easy (or something to that effect) and it only asked for name, number and income. I started searching the forum to try to see what that could mean and started seeing that Amex is likely to only do a SP for members if denied.  Instead of apping for the ED like I planned, I decided to take a chance on the Platinum. If the worst that could happen is a SP, no harm, no foul right. Clicked on apply now and it said congrats you're pre-approved. Decision in as little as 30 seconds. OK. Name was pre-filled, so added phone number and income and VOILA. Congratulations!!! 

I have several international trips planned this year, so I am excited to try out the lounge access and maybe even using the concierge to get Hamilton tickets for my birthday lol. I only wish I had this card in hard a week ago when I booked $3200 in flights given  the $5k spend for the 60K bonus.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Platinum Amex on a Whim - Instant Approval - Beyond ecstatic

Congrats on the approval.  I’d have back up plans for getting Hamilton tickets though.  Very unlikely that the Amex concierge will be able to secure any.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

It has to be frustrating to run $30K through a $1K limit. I hope they change their tune with you very soon.
Message 3 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your PlatSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your new Plat card!

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awwww a girl can dream 😋
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new Plat card! Hopefully, you will get the tix for Hamilton

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new Platinum card! Man, I want one so bad I can taste it. 

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it wasn't for the fact that Amex allows me to make a payment right after a charge and immediately increases my available credit, it definitely wouldn't work. On the one hand it's nice to control my impulse spends but on the other hand it's aggravating for my necessary spends.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congartulations on your Amex approval!!!

And good luck waiting on your CSR; hopefully you get it.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.