Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick data points for Discover Approval

tag
indiasnowden
Regular Contributor

Quick data points for Discover Approval

I received an invitational mailer last week.  Came here, researched and decided not to respond since my scores still suck.  As usual, I fixated on the invitation the whole week.  Alas, the only relief was to reply and get it over with so I went online and typed in the invite number, my info and hit the button.

Shockingly, they approved me.  For $1600.  Holy caves, Batman.  I chose the teal card I think.  MyFico scores are Ex 629, Trans 640 and EQ 639.  I just got a raise and make around $53000 annually with OT.  But I listed my straight salary which is $52000.  Hope this helps someone else decide.  Although, Discover does not seem to use any obvious logic in their approvals.  I hesitated because people with excellent scores and scads of credit were getting denied.  I was expecting a denial because I am currently fighting with the gas company over six months worth of account administrative charges they say I owe even though I turn my gas off every spring.  I had no idea they showed my gas as still on.  No, it is off.  I am freezing my ass off at night; I would know if it was still on....cuz I would be using it, okay?  We shall see the winner of this chicken dinner shortly.  I am getting ready for round 2. 

I want the Discover for utility padding while I pay off everything else.  I will make a small purchase ie gas or whatever and PIF to show activity monthly.

Go figure about Discover.  I think they are thinking ahead down the road and trying to grab the M generation as well as the YA's to hook them while they are still ripe for the picking.  Just my two cents.  Those two groups tend to have thin files and lower scores from what I have read.   So, why not open your credit doors to the generation that as their whole life/wallets  ahead of them?  Makes sense to me.

Happy fall days to all.

Starting Score: 'All three mid 500s as of 1/1/16
EQ: 633 6 TU: 644 EX: 634 as of 3/11/17 via MyFico
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick data points for Discover Approval

Congrats on the approval!
Message 2 of 10
schsa210
Established Contributor

Congrats on the new card!

~buried myself in the garden~
Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nicely done! Congrats on getting in . Youre right, they have weird parameters on who they let in and when but you got in now so its all good and will grow nicelySmiley Happy
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats🎉🎉🎉 make that your daily driver for the first year,especially in category spend and you will be rewarded nicely. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on an excellent approval!  Great post too! Enjoy your new card! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
olskoldiva
Valued Member

Congrats on the approval

EX:777: TU:781: EQ: 783

Discover It:$12800, Citi DC:$12100, Chase Freedom: $7500, BOA:$25000, BB Visa:$4000, Walmart:$10000, Lowes:$10000, AMEX BCE:$14300, CHASE AARP:$6000, Ebates:$15000, Citi TY Preferred:$8300
Message 7 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

congrats on the approval! I absolutely love them!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval and welcome to the Discover Family!!!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval! As someone who is part of the M generation that is exactly why I refuse to get a discover. They hand out flyers *near* campus and the majority of students and people my age are mindless proles when it comes to credit and just sign up.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.