Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver MasterCard CLI

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Quicksilver MasterCard CLI

Hello friends!

At first I decided not to mention this particular CLI on here, but upon further consideration I thought that somebody in the community might find the details helpful, so here I am. 

I was getting a predictable $1k CLI on each of my QS cards every six months until this past summer, when I got another $1k on my QS Visa Signature but nothing for my QS MasterCard... I got the standard "not enough usage" language for the MasterCard, which was understandable... my usage on the MC has been less than $50 each month other than a $2k BT that I carried for a few weeks, which apparently doesn't "count" as usage (when taking that BT into consideration, I actually had more use on the MC than the Visa).

It's been four months and I was bored, so I figured, "what the heck".  Last month's statement closed at $165 - the highest in a while - and I've not even paid it off yet. 

I filled in the obligatory info online, and was promptly greeted with the offer of a $1k increase... which takes me from $3900 to $4900Smiley Very Happy

To be honest, I figured since my usage is still so low that they would either deny me altogether (like last time) or offer me something really low like $100, which ironically I would have accepted since it would have made my credit line an even $4k (had they offered me $250 I would have reduced it to $100).  I'm a little on the OCD side I guess, since even-numbered credit lines are more desirable to me, but rather than voluntarily lower the amount to $4k or $4.5 I went ahead and took the entire amount. 

A little history:  This account was originally HSBC/Orchard Bank, and was opened in June 2007.  When it was HSBC, it had an AF of $79 (!) but it offered 2% cash back rewards and a relatively low 14.9% APR (since increased to 15.15%).  The starting credit line was $300, and my first CLI was $20 (twenty dollars, not missing a zero there...).  It converted to Capital One as a Quicksilver One when it's credit line was $720, and has grown from there to be $4900 Quicksilver today.

I have considered merging it with the QS Visa - that's actually why I got the Visa to begin with... at that time they wouldn't PC the MasterCard to a QS, and they would only waive half the AF (I ended up getting a PC to a regular Quicksilver before the next AF was due).  The reason I still don't combine is that the balance transfer offers on the Visa are better... the only offer the MC ever has is a no-fee BT at the normal purchase rate (which under the right scenario might still be useful).  I also like having an open account that is 9+ years old, and with a 'decent' APR (although admittedly I have several better options now).  Because each account seems to have value on its own I've decided to just move forward with keeping them separate.

The take-away here is that if you have a QS MasterCard growth is possible, and if Capital One declines your CLI request due to not enough usage it might not take many swipes to overcome their objections.  Smiley Wink

Hopefully these data points will prove helpful to someone.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: Quicksilver MasterCard CLI

Congratulations, UncleB, on that CL!.

My CLIs on my QS MC also have slowed down quite a bit, though they haven't dried up completely. Since learning that I could request every 6 months (yeah, didn't realize that until I had been on here a while and checked in 2014), the CLIs have dwindled, though been reasonable - $5k, $3.5k, $1.5k, $1k.

I'm sure it's largely in part due to the fact that the card has also had dwindling use as my portfolio has expanded. 

It has a couple recurring charges - housecleaning, dry cleaning. I'm due again in December, so I'm interested to see how much if they will offer.

Incidentally, I requested a CLI on my QS VS after the 3rd statement cut, and I got a $750 CLI....on a $30k SL, which was also fine as I really hadn't started to use the card. Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 17
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats Uncle B, excellent growth on your Cap1 cards.

Good data points as well. Thanks for sharing. 

Congrats again!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@iheartwings wrote:

Congratulations, UncleB, on that CL!.

My CLIs on my QS MC also have slowed down quite a bit, though they haven't dried up completely. Since learning that I could request every 6 months (yeah, didn't realize that until I had been on here a while and checked in 2014), the CLIs have dwindled, though been reasonable - $5k, $3.5k, $1.5k, $1k.

I'm sure it's largely in part due to the fact that the card has also had dwindling use as my portfolio has expanded. 

It has a couple recurring charges - housecleaning, dry cleaning. I'm due again in December, so I'm interested to see how much if they will offer.

Incidentally, I requested a CLI on my QS VS after the 3rd statement cut, and I got a $750 CLI....on a $30k SL, which was also fine as I really hadn't started to use the card. Smiley Happy 

Thanks so much!  Smiley Very Happy

You've got some good data points as well... your info backs up what I've always believed about how Capital One seems to be more sensitive to usage than many lenders, at least when it comes to a CLI. 

If I'm ever able to cross the 'elusive' $5k threshold I might consider doing a PC to a Venture One to see if I can get a WMC.  I know the rewards rate is slightly lower, but for the six months that I would be required to leave it as a Venture One (before doing a PC back to a QS) I wouldn't lose too much due to my low usage.  I know I have at least six months to think about it... still $100 away!  Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

Congrats Uncle B, excellent growth on your Cap1 cards.

Good data points as well. Thanks for sharing. 

Congrats again!

Thanks so much!  Smiley Very Happy

Capital One is like "old faithful" to me... they might not be as flashy as some of my others and might not be my lowest APR, but they are dependable and even after all this time are still growing.  I'm really glad to have them with me.

My QS Visa will be eligible for a CLI in December and it will be interesting to see how that works out <fingers crossed!>.  I've had a little more usage on it so they might choose to be more generous.  I'm fortunate in that I'm not 'depending' on a CLI... it's really one of those no-stress "lets see what happens" kind of things, if you know what I mean.  It also helps to 'scratch the itch' when I think about apping for something new... LOL! 

Thanks again!  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 17
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on that UncleB.Smiley Happy

On this end after doing the combo thing about a year ago am finally at (2) cards with them here. The QS + Venture ($59AF)

After a whole year I tapped the CLI request recently and nada, no can do, but really ok with me.

Both limits are sufficient enough AS-IS.

IIRC the V1 I also was approved for back then started at $3K which rapidly turned into $6K and subsequently rolled into the Venture through their Combo Feature.

Good Data points you shared there and all the best for continued growth with Capital One. Been quite pleased on this end too.

Message 6 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Congratulations on that UncleB.Smiley Happy

On this end after doing the combo thing about a year ago am finally at (2) cards with them here. The QS + Venture ($59AF)

After a whole year I tapped the CLI request recently and nada, no can do, but really ok with me.

Both limits are sufficient enough AS-IS.

IIRC the V1 I also was approved for back then started at $3K which rapidly turned into $6K and subsequently rolled into the Venture through their Combo Feature.

Good Data points you shared there and all the best for continued growth with Capital One. Been quite pleased on this end too.

Thanks, CM7!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm hoping the info might help somebody... I know that in the grand scheme this CLI isn't "huge" or anything, but the info might be useful to someone who is working to get a Capital One Platinum or QS1 increased, especially if it's their only card (I was once in this exact situation).

I admit I'm still intrigued by the concept of combining cards, just not these two.  I'm considering going for a Venture at some point, with the intention of earning the bonus then eventually merging it with one of my existing QS cards.  I don't have any firm plans on that, though...

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement!  Smiley Very Happy

Edited to add:  It sounds like you're doing quite well with Capital One yourself!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 17
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Congrats UncleB!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very well done UncleB!. For low usage id call that a very nice increase. Im sure it will help someone with their CapOnes as we know there are plenty of card holders here. NOW call and get that extra 100. Lol Smiley Happy. Great job again and enjoySmiley Happy
Message 9 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@galahad15 wrote:

Congrats UncleB!  Smiley Happy

Thanks so much, galahad!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.