Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RBFCU Platinum 2% CB MC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

RBFCU Platinum 2% CB MC

I've had my eye on Randolph Brooks for awhile, hoping they'd be my 1st 10K+ SL CC. I also wanted to time my app with them to coincide with CLI & 2nd card with NFCU (neither done yet). I had read of a couple of recent 25K approvals & I was hopeful my overall profile, including a 752 Fico 08 TU, would get me a similar approval. 

One thing of note my reseach told me: it's better to have membership established -- including opening checking & savings for $1 total -- prior to apping. Not mandatory, but better: i.e., simpler, less paperwork & time & questions. Online took 10 minutes & then address verification request came, which required me emailing a color picture of a piece of recently postmarked mail. It was validated in about 30 minutes or so.

Then I apped and it went to manual review, which I think they all do. I'm not 100% on this point. Maybe two hours later I checked online & saw I was approved for 8K SL, which fits in the middle of my CCs (Disco 15K, FNBO 8K, Navy 7.8K). I was hoping they would leapfrog Disco but no such luck. Dissappointed & wondering: recon? I've not found much intel on RBFCU recon, or CLI for that matter. Any experienced members intel would be appreciated.

Other notes: card shipped this morning; 2% CB on everything; 0% for 12 months with 0% transfer fee; thereafter 11.65 APR (lowest); 0 fee for cash advances, so card can function like a LOC. 

Speaking of LOC -- this morning I apped for that too. I read HP is good for 30 days, although someone else said 45 days. They did not do another HP. Requested 15K & went to review. Will update. Update 11/1/18: DENIED

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: RBFCU Platinum 2% CB MC

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my eye on Randolph Brooks for awhile, hoping they'd be my 1st 10K+ SL CC. I also wanted to time my app with them to coincide with CLI & 2nd card with NFCU (neither done yet). I had read of a couple of recent 25K approvals & I was hopeful my overall profile, including a 752 Fico 08 TU, would get me a similar approval. 

One thing of note my reseach told me: it's better to have membership established -- including opening checking & savings for $1 total -- prior to apping. Not mandatory, but better: i.e., simpler, less paperwork & time & questions. Online took 10 minutes & then address verification request came, which required me emailing a color picture of a piece of recently postmarked mail. It was validated in about 30 minutes or so.

Then I apped and it went to manual review, which I think they all do. I'm not 100% on this point. Maybe two hours later I checked online & saw I was approved for 8K SL, which fits in the middle of my CCs (Disco 15K, FNBO 8K, Navy 7.8K). I was hoping they would leapfrog Disco but no such luck. Dissappointed & wondering: recon? I've not found much intel on RBFCU recon, or CLI for that matter. Any experienced members intel would be appreciated.

Other notes: card shipped this morning; 2% CB on everything; 0% for 12 months with 0% transfer fee; thereafter 11.65 APR (lowest); 0 fee for cash advances, so card can function like a LOC. 

Speaking of LOC -- this morning I apped for that too. I read HP is good for 30 days, although someone else said 45 days. They did not do another HP. Requested 15K & went to review. Will update. 

Congrats on membership and your $8K SL. I recently joined them as well, app'd for the same card and recieved an email they next day that I was approved for $25K, about fell out of my chair as my highest limit was $10K from Penfed. I also was amazed that I can pull full $25K for cash advance. I applied for a LOC using same HP but was denied.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on membership and your $8K SL. I recently joined them as well, app'd for the same card and recieved an email they next day that I was approved for $25K, about fell out of my chair as my highest limit was $10K from Penfed. I also was amazed that I can pull full $25K for cash advance. I applied for a LOC using same HP but was denied.

Yes, your's was one of the approvals that influenced me. You got 2 1/2 Penfed -- I was hoping for them to at least match Discover 15K.

Question: did you recon the declined LOC, or decide to leave well enough alone?

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, your's was one of the approvals that influenced me. You got 2 1/2 Penfed -- I was hoping for them to at least match Discover 15K.

Question: did you recon the declined LOC, or decide to leave well enough alone?

I left well enough alone, I have $15K cloc with NFCU, $10K ploc with Penfed & $5K ploc with SSFCU. Basically my denial was that I was too new of a member. I will try again in 6 months.

Message 4 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats James on a nice approval
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ RBFCU. Both DH and I got instant online approvals when we joined (me $25K, him $17K).

Their CC’s act as a LOC. You can transfer cash directly from your card into your checking account at your normal card rate with zero fees. Plus upon opening you should get a zero % offer which works on cash advance too. I used it and can attest that it works as they describe. I haven’t seen any other card offer that feature.

You almost can’t beat their car loan rates either.
Message 6 of 19
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval! I'll definitely have to check out this CU.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the kind words. And, Yes, x, you should definitely check it out. Hopefully you'll grab a better SL like Df, and several others, have gotten. But still, 8K isn't bad, and it's a low APR 0 fee BT plus 2% card. 

Now if someone will only come along and tell me how/when to get a CLI ...

Message 8 of 19
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@James_A - Is RBFCU all over or are they location specific? And 8k is a great SL! As far as CLI goes - it looks like they do HPs for CLIs. For timing wise - it looks like increases are possible every 180 days. It looks like they pull TU for CLI requests.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the kind words. And, Yes, x, you should definitely check it out. Hopefully you'll grab a better SL like Df, and several others, have gotten. But still, 8K isn't bad, and it's a low APR 0 fee BT plus 2% card. 

Now if someone will only come along and tell me how/when to get a CLI ...

I read every post I could find about RBFCU on every forum on this site and if I am not mistaken I read a few posts from a person that used to work there back in 2016 and he said you can have both cards with RBFCU and can also combine them. He said you can request your first credit limit increase at 6 months and its a HP.

I apped the second card as well but was declined, "insuffient established payment history".

For CLI, you have to call and request.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.