coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: Rebuilding, surprise CITI Custom Cash Approval

Congrats on the approval!

Message 22 of 31
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done, grats on paying them off and getting a new card!!

Message 23 of 31
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Crowhelm wrote:

@wingennis wrote:

@Eldodroptop1 wrote:

Not just far better credit. But I have NEGATIVE history with CITI. Like I said, it's a head scratcher, but I'll gladly accept!

Negative is relative.  You had a hard time and couldn't meet your obligations.  Instead of just defaulting and moving on you made an arrangement to make good on your debt.  That sounds hugely  positive to me and probably to Citi.  Well done.

Totally agree. Good to see it does get rewarded.

Paying off an otherwise charged off balance, something you could have opted out of but decided to pay, should count as a major positive for any bank. Kudos on taking responsibility and paying it off! Congrats on the new card!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 31
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

Grats on your custom cash approval. Interesting. I didn't know they let people back in so soon. I have way too many new cards and inquiries right now but I'll add it to my future acquisition list. 

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great approval! Appreciate the datapoints and best of luck to you

Message 26 of 31
gjean78
Regular Contributor

@Eldodroptop1 wrote:

Rebuilding my credit (x-wife ruined me) was at 533 Fico 8 in December. Among my charge offs a CITI AA card was in there, worked out a payment plan with citi for 0% payments to pay off card. Paid off debt to Citi two months ago. along with every other charged off account. 

On a whim I just applied for the CITI Custom Cash card. My Transunion Fico 8 is 682. Citi pulled the Transunion and gave me an instant approval for $3200. There were four hard pulls on my TU in the last four months. 

Honestly, I'm shocked. I have read many stories how people with FAR better credit than me have difficulty with CITI. 

I appreciate the second chance, but I am scratching my head..

There is more that go to credit approval than just the raw credit score. Some lender look at your debt to income ratio, some look for low balance on your current card.  Someone credits score can be higher than someone else, the higher score may not get approve if the debt to income is not where it needs to be at.

Message 27 of 31
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Eldodroptop1  

That is fantastic! Clearly Citi values honoring your financial committment.

Out of curiosity, Did you pay the full amount you owed them or was it a settlement?

Message 28 of 31
Eldodroptop1
Established Member

I paid the full amount. 

Message 29 of 31
draychi
Valued Member

Craziness... but congrats!

Meanwhile, Citi is my last secured card - no grad or CLI going on 3 years. Always PIF. They just don't like me.

Rebuild start: Late 2020 (Low 500's).
- Settled & Removed 9 collections
- 680-700 (03/2022)
- 5.5 year old Chase repo I need to settle

PenFed Power Cash $3.5k | Amex Plat NPSL | Discover IT $2k | Citi $200 | WF Active Cash $300 | FirstPremier $1200 | FirstNational, FirstSavings $850 each | Cap1 Plat $700 | Avant $300 | Surge $1k | Kohls $300 | CreditOne $600 & $1.2k | Jasper MC $1k | Petal1 $500 | OppFi $1k | Prosper $500 | MissionLane $500
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.