Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red card cli!

tag
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

Red card cli!

Opened May 2018, use it heavily every month. Finally been granted a cli from $300 to $500! Based on experience when should I look out for another cli?
Bk Chp. 7 Discharged 04/13/2018
Date of filing: 01/11/2018
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Red card cli!

I’m jealous. I also opened in my account in may 18. My account clises on the 16th. Maybe I will get a cli also 

Message 2 of 18
CivalV
Established Contributor

Congrats on your CLI!

Is this your first CLI since opening the account? And did you carry a balance every month? Someone stated to let a small balance report & within 3 months I could possibly receive my first CLI. Who knows haha
Message 3 of 18
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

@CivalV wrote:
Congrats on your CLI!

Is this your first CLI since opening the account? And did you carry a balance every month? Someone stated to let a small balance report & within 3 months I could possibly receive my first CLI. Who knows haha

Yes this was finally my first CLI! I did carry a balance every month. The first 6 months I carried a 10%-30% balance but didn’t seem to help. Since sept I've had a 40%-60% balance and then as of this statement it was 80%, but I got the CLI so that brought it down to under 50%. I think target honestly just likes a lot of usage.

Some months I paid in full, lately i've just been paying double the minimum. I'm at target a lot so I wanted to do whatever possible for an increase.

Side note, in November I had a Nordstrom card with a $300 limit. Also issued by TD bank. Was told to wait 7 months for cli but went through the EO and got it to $500. Now this month Target also went from $300 to $500. Since its both TD bank, I'm wondering if that had any correlation at all..

Message 4 of 18
CivalV
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info! That is interesting. I am wondering if I should pay $200 out of the $279 I owe on my red card or not haha

It could very well be related since they are from the same bank? That is interesting. Ive seen it happen to others as well. 1 card gives a CLI and all of a sudden a bunch other accounts are giving them CLIs. I love target. I dont shop there too much but when I do its for electronics and so I end up using my CL.
Message 5 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There is no set pattern, or really rhyme or reason for Target CLIs.  Mine began at $1200 in 2002, got reduced to $800 when it changed to a Visa and a new lender around 2004 or 2005, then sat there until June 2016.  Some combination of using it every month, allowing the statement to post with a non-zero balance (that doesn't mean carrying a balance), paying in full every month, and updating my income monthly even though it hasn't changed has worked for me and many others.  I've had CLIs of $500, 3 x $1000, and 2 x $2000 every June and December statement close and it now sits at $8300.

Congrats on your first Target CLI!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Target Red card CLI!Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your CLI !!!!!

Message 8 of 18
tinabohio
Valued Member

Congrats!!!

My Target and Nordstrom are both at $1700, so it could be that TD maybe likes to keep those limits matching? OCD credit card issuer? I guess I've got the right cards then, lol. (I want an increase to $2K because the cl on them now really irk my poor brain.)
Message 9 of 18
jonnyc
Regular Contributor

@tinabohio wrote:
Congrats!!!

My Target and Nordstrom are both at $1700, so it could be that TD maybe likes to keep those limits matching? OCD credit card issuer? I guess I've got the right cards then, lol. (I want an increase to $2K because the cl on them now really irk my poor brain.)

How long have you had nordys? You can request cli every 4 months I believe as long as the account is 7 months old. I was able to get one after only 3 weeks by going through the EO. Nordstrom still manages their accounts TD just services them. The EO can be great help! but try regular CS first if the time frame fits!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.