Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCT - Sportsman's Guide Visa Approved BUT hard pull! BEWARE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

SCT - Sportsman's Guide Visa Approved BUT hard pull! BEWARE

just wanted to share my experience. I used the SCT and applied for sportsman's guide visa last night. Said I was approved, but didn't provide SL. Said that the card would be in the mail. I called CS today (they were closed last night). I asked him to check SL, asked for a CLI, and if this was a hard/soft pull. CSR said:

-spending limit $7k (nice!)

-it was a HARD PULL (**bleep**)

-and that to see if i'm eligible for a CLI at this time, they'd have to ask me some income questions and that this would also be a hard pull

while the SCT worked for me, i'm bummed that this was a hard and now i'll have an inquiry on my CS Smiley Sad fingers crossed the CSR is wrong and it was just a soft pull.

an hour after i applied for SMG visa, i also used the SCT to apply for an overstock (store) card. they instantly approved for $4k. i hope this was a soft pull. otherwise, 2 new inquiries for $11k and decreasing AAoA... not sure if it's worth it.

in case the SCT isn't working for some people, i found these links while googling the SMG visa CS phone number. CAVEAT: may result in hard pull. apply at your own risk.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/alliancedata/prescreenacceptance

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/alliancedata/offer

i also requested CLI for my current comenity accounts (i've never asked before! wish i had known about this sooner). they were all instantly approved. so in the span of 2 hours, i was able to increase my total credt from $17,950 --> $30,850! not sure it is worth decreasing AAoA with another inquiry. proceed at your own risk!

Stats when I applied for my overstock and SMG visa:

FAKO scores early May 2017: TU 757  | EX 709 | EQ 764

AAoA: 8.86 years

Oldest account: 13.35 years

Payment history: 85% (because of old derrogatory marks!)

Inquiries: 2 (made in 2015, 2016)

Open accounts: 10

Closed accounts: 14

Total Credit: $17,950

Utilization: 7-12% (depending on where i get my CS)

Student loans: 4 (~$14,725 left to repay) - they are my oldest accounts

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SCT - Sportsman's Guide Visa Approved BUT hard pull! BEWARE

Hi sunny5ideup welcome to myfico! Congratulations on your SG visa & Overstock approvals! Sorry you had to take a HP for SG hopefully Overstock is a SP... & super congrats on getting CLIs on the rest of your Comenity cards awesome job! 😊
Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats. I believe for Visa and Mastercatd, it will usually be a hard pull. Even if you get 2 cards sp and those cards report itll still affect your aaol as you're adding 2 new accounts regardless how they were attained. Id caution using SCT for too many Comenity as it seems they may be starting to crack down on that method. I

mho, they just arent stable enough to put my trust in that if i were to get another account, id have a great chance at keeping said account.But to each there own. Enjoy your 11k in credit thoughSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i called SMG back and they transferred me to new accounts. since i applied via pre-screen offer they say it *should* have only been a soft pull. they couldn't verify since i had initiated the application online. i guess i'll just have to keep monitoring my CRs.

excited to use my new visa! thanks!

Message 4 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

If you get just the store card via SCT it usually is an SP...but if they give you one of the cobranded Visa/MC's its usually an HP...

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval. Yes, Comenity is SP for store cards and HP for their MC/Visa.
If these are cards you will use, that's great, but take care of your accounts. People that tend to get accounts shut down by Comenity are ones that have their MC/Visas along with store cards
Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

+1 Tigers09 adviceSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.