Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saks store card CLI of $3,750

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saks store card CLI of $3,750

Well, in August of this year, I decided to open two retail cards along with an automobile installment loan since my FICO profile showed "0" retail cards/auto loan.  Since I have a five-year history with Capital One, I went on an app spree with them and decided to apply for their retail cards (Saks store card and Neiman Marcus) and was subsequently pre-approved for their autonavigator loan ((thank goodness I didn't can them after the major security breach a few months ago -- phew!!))

Anyway, in reading member testimonies citing insane CLI monthly increases via Neiman Marcus and Saks store cards ((allowing a monthly (soft pull) CLI increase via phone)), I decided that these two cards might help build my portfolio along with aiding in decreasing my overall utilization.  To make a long story short, I was approved for both store cards.  They both pulled Equifax which was my highest FICO at the time (779).  The struggle: Saks did not auto-approve me for a line of credit, but made me call in for verification which lasted about 2 minutes by sending a text to my phone linked in my CR profile which I had in hand. Saks starting CL was $2,250 and I was happy with that.  Then, I thought I'd have a good chance with NM on the same day and was given the same verification notice, but I had to go in-store to show my driver's license at the customer service counter.  Then, the sweet lady handed me the phone to speak to a man in their underwriting department who honestly sounded like a FBI interrogator. The entire time, I kept a poker face and spoke in an indifferent, firm and direct tone. The result: NM gave me a starting CL of $6,000 (was extremely happy).

Today's Saks CLI -- how it went down

Strategy: So, two months have passed and I decided to see if Saks could give me a CLI to put me at the same CL as my beginning NM CL.  I thought my best chances for a Saks CLI were to put 2-3 small purchases of between $50.00 - $200.00 and make a few payments higher than the minimum. 

So moments ago, I called in with a balance of around $500.00 out of $2,250 and politely asked the Saks CSR if I could have a CLI.  She was very polite, but also persistent on the amount I wanted -- I then told her to give me whatever I was eligible for.  She said, "please give me a number that you'd like to request"...I said, "well, NM gave me a start CL of $6,000, so that's what I'd like to request..."  She said, "okay, I do need to pull your credit file...do I have your authorization?" To be safe, I asked her, "Soft pull or hard pull?" She reassured me it was a soft pull. So, she asked to put me on hold for 4-5 minutes...maybe a minute passed while I was on hold...then, she congratulated me on the new CLI to $6,000 which now matches my NM credit limit. YAY!!!

So....in less than 5 minutes, I went from a card utilization of 22% to 8.3%!  BAM!!!  Excited to see how this now brings down the overall utilization once the CRAs report.  I might call in again in December and ask both NM and Saks to increase to 10k!  I want to keep my monthly spend around $200-$300 and not go crazy on handbags - just a perfume or two and pay it off each month. Smiley Happy

P.S. one thing to note about Saks cards is that they offer both a store card (which I have) and also their Saks WEMC. I read somewhere here that you first need the store card to be eligible for their WEMC and a 5k CL was the minimum for consideration for WEMC -- usually, it is another HP (womp-womp). I am going to let things cool down and request CLIs and see if maybe an invitation for their WEMC knocks on my door in a year or two.  I don't want another inquiry!!  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Saks store card CLI of $3,750

Congratulations!

Message 2 of 11
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

Congrats on your Credit Line IncreaseCongrats on your Credit Line Increase

Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ALL!  I couldn't have achieved these goals without the assistance, mentorship, and community-sharing of this board.  I was a long-time lurker before I posted.  I know what it's like to go from good credit (pre-Recession), to bad credit (rebuild), and back to good/excellent after several lessons in humility and gratitude.  It's a journey...probably more of a roller-coaster...LOL! 

We're all in this together, so I thank all of you!! (Muah!!)

Message 4 of 11
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

Awesome Congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS  on your AWESOME Saks store card CLI and the HUGE Reduction in your Utilization - That's how it's DONE!!! Smiley Happy

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your increase!!
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marz2002 wrote:

YOU...

Awesome Congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS  on your AWESOME Saks store card CLI and the HUGE Reduction in your Utilization - That's how it's DONE!!! Smiley Happy

Thank you, Marz!  Yes, nailed it, indeed!!  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats on your increase!!

Thanks, AnimalHouse121!  It feels good to be back!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

bravocado.gif

AU

Message 9 of 11
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!! Nice job!
March 2024: Experian 762; Equifax 767; Transunion 769

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 04/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (2) Trans: (1) Equif: (1)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.