Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second AMEX...

tag
cgennin
Established Member

Second AMEX...

When I logged in to my AMEX tonight, there was a preapproval for the BCE (which I already have) and the ED. I chose to apply for the ED and was approved, albeit for only $1600. I scheduled a $1K balance transfer from my Chase immediately. I am disappointed with the low starting limit, however my BCE had a SL of only $1K and has grown to $27K after 8-9 months, so I have my ED will grow quickly. I am assuming the best route would be to work on 3X CLIs for the ED and not worry about CLIs on my BCE (I doubt they would increase it much from $27K, anyway). Am I to assume correctly?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Second AMEX...

zCongrats on Approval

Message 2 of 7
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

I was mid 700s a few months ago when I app'd for the AmexED. I have a BCP with a SL of 5k for two years that grew to 17k. Usually carried a small balance month to month of about 500-1500 that was PIF monthly. I was quite disappointed with my AmexED SL of 2300. I make low to mid 100k+ and have a great profile. Even a former Plat member. After one month of charging and PIF my ED of about 2k, they gave me the 3x CLI after requesting one month in (after my statement and payment). From what I have seen and heard, seems to be extremely rare. But thats how I did it. Hoping to CLI it for a 3x increase after that 181 days everyone speaks of.

I have never tried the 60 day CLI or 181 trick. But when I have felt an increase was deserved, I have asked but its probably once a year, if that, depending on the card.

Best of luck. Just my two cents and experience.

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

While you wait, you may want to reallocate some of your larger limit to the new card. That’ll help with utilization. Also, I believe if you do that whenever you actually do request your 3X limit, it’ll be from the reallocated limit amount and not the original SL.
Message 4 of 7
avp99
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the new card!  

Message 5 of 7
cgennin
Established Member

@Kevin5974 wrote:
I was mid 700s a few months ago when I app'd for the AmexED. I have a BCP with a SL of 5k for two years that grew to 17k. Usually carried a small balance month to month of about 500-1500 that was PIF monthly. I was quite disappointed with my AmexED SL of 2300. I make low to mid 100k+ and have a great profile. Even a former Plat member. After one month of charging and PIF my ED of about 2k, they gave me the 3x CLI after requesting one month in (after my statement and payment). From what I have seen and heard, seems to be extremely rare. But thats how I did it. Hoping to CLI it for a 3x increase after that 181 days everyone speaks of.

I have never tried the 60 day CLI or 181 trick. But when I have felt an increase was deserved, I have asked but its probably once a year, if that, depending on the card.

Best of luck. Just my two cents and experience.

That's great that you got a CLI after 30 days. I tried to request a CLI once the new card showed up in my online account as I have seen a lot of people on here have success with that, but I got the 7-10 day message so I am thinking that was a "no".

Message 6 of 7
cgennin
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats!

While you wait, you may want to reallocate some of your larger limit to the new card. That’ll help with utilization. Also, I believe if you do that whenever you actually do request your 3X limit, it’ll be from the reallocated limit amount and not the original SL.

Thanks! I wasn't aware I could do that. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.