Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Discover Card Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second Discover Card Approved

Hi Guys,

Did some background check on this card and for some reason i liked it, been with discover for 13 months so, i decided to apply for the Discover Miles card, doing the application my son woke up and walked away, came back 20 mins later and hit the apply button, well we all know what happens after that lol, anyways applied again and got denied, at this point closed my laptop and went to bed.

Next day got an email from Discover that they need more info from me, sent it and that was all, a day later (today) went to the discover application status page and noticed the chat was available, hit the chat button and there was this lady, i felt the connection since we started chatting, well after some verifications over the chat, she told me that she needed to talk to me to the phone number i provided on my application, i said yes and she called me, asked me few more questions and she said. "can you please confirm the address where to send your new card ?"  i was oh shut, i am approved lol, anyways i was approved for 5K SL for the Discover Miles.

Best experience with any CSR/Loan Office ever, wow, first feedback i have ever send, she was from another planet and i mean it.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Second Discover Cards Approved

It's good to see an approval on a 2nd Discover around here.  Not too many takers on the challenge it seems.  $5K is a good start on a 2nd line.  Not sure what else you have hanging out in your collection so far.

Message 2 of 19
beezer32
Regular Contributor

So when's the first date?

Smiley Wink

Kidding. Congrats!

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats to you on getting that second card from Discover! Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I'm looking to app for this in feb or march. Not a ton of people have this card. Do you mind sharing some data points like score, aaoa, and date of last app? Thanks!
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on that new card! 

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations and welcome to the Discover it Miles family! Personally, I love my Miles card and have been using it daily. Smiley Happy

I also was approved via chat, which speeded up the approval process and was a very positive experience as well.

Which color did you select, elegua?

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fourth the motion for Disco Miles data points - it seems like a decent card, and I've been tempted to go for it in part due to the sign on bonus. Though, I don't think I need more than one Disco card, any updates on your experience with it would be great, elegua01. Hoping you get full use out of it!

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several things to share based upon talking with Discover (again, take it for what it's worth and your mileage may vary)

1) They prefer people to not have a lot of other credit and not a lot of recent new acounts and inquiries (I'd suggest waiting 8 months with no new accounts before applying for the best chances of success, for not only success at approval but success at a decent CL and APR). This doesn't mean you won't get a card, but just is a snapshot of what they mention that they ideally prefer.

2) They don't especially like lots of rapid moves in quick succession (i.e., adding a lot of new accounts, plus increasing debt overall, plus using the card a lot and taking a long time to pay off balances or BT's.

3) Discover considers an account and cardmember to be "new" for the first two full years of account ownership.

4) Discover is a conservative lender (that can be interpreted very broadly). 

None of this is from my direct experience, but from asking questions of two managers at Discover, several analysts, and also asking different reps over the past 2 1/2 years I have been a cardmember. I have two Discover cards and my original IT card is 2 1/2 years old. I also have the Miles card.

I don't pretend to know what makes Discover tick, and can only share information as I receive it in response to questions I have asked of Discover.

I can say for certain that at least in my experience, usage and payments don't matter as much with Discover. I've received my only two CLI's with them when I had months of zero usage. 

When I put thousands of dollars through the card for a 5 month period and paid in full each month, Discover wanted a HP for a CLI. I said "no thanks" to the HP and now we're at a standoff, as it were.

Yet Discover has given me repeated 0% purchase offers throughout the 2 1/2 year lifespan thus far of my regular IT card. Wanting an HP for CLI yet repeatedly offering 0% APR purchase offers seem a bit at odds with one another.

I would say not to try to figure DIscover out or track patterns as they are too variable. This is evidenced by the fact that here on the board, we recently saw a person just barely out of bankruptcy receive a 10k approval, where several people with 740 FICO scores and solid profiles were turned down for a Discover card and told to get a joint applicant.

Many other factors weigh into approval and denial decisions than just the above, certainly, but my point is that more than many lenders, DIscover seems to be all over the map.

I still am loving my new Miles card and am using it daily, but am not expecting too much from Discover and that keeps it real. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Re: Second Discover Card Approved

Congrats on your approval!!!  

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.