cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Discover in less than a year!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Second Discover in less than a year!

Congrats MrCredit on the 2nd Disco! Enjoy.
Message 11 of 18
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!!

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Nice cards, too. You remind me of myself (with your cards) when I was an undergrad over 10 years ago.

It’s possible that the Discover student product is more restricted than an IT, Cash, etc. Maybe you could do a product upgrade on the student card w/1.5k in 6 months or so? I’m new to Discover, so I’m still learning the ropes with their company. I, too, asked fir a CLI several days after my third statement cut. No dice.

I’ve read that Disco has been tightening up on the generosity wagon, and for many good reasons.
Message 13 of 18
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats! Nice cards, too. You remind me of myself (with your cards) when I was an undergrad over 10 years ago.

It’s possible that the Discover student product is more restricted than an IT, Cash, etc. Maybe you could do a product upgrade on the student card w/1.5k in 6 months or so? I’m new to Discover, so I’m still learning the ropes with their company. I, too, asked fir a CLI several days after my third statement cut. No dice.

I’ve read that Disco has been tightening up on the generosity wagon, and for many good reasons.

Just try asking every month. I've had luck sometimes where I got increases in two consecutive months

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrCreditInternational wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just try asking every month. I've had luck sometimes where I got increases in two consecutive months

That's awesome, and congrats!  I'm confident that once you're able to PC those Disco student cards into a non-student Disco product, you'll receive much higher limits.  I remember over a decade ago, BofA PCed a student card into their non-student rewards card and my limit went through the roof.   

Anyway, with all of my new accounts and inquiries, I might hold off on pressing Disco's Magic 8 ball button since I've read some recent financial articles that signal the likelihood that banks are tightening things up due to "recession fears".  I definitely don't want to appear too credit-seeking in Discover's eyes since they did start me at a good limit (very humbled and grateful), so I'll wait to see if I am worthy of an auto CLI over the months. 

Currently, I carry a large 0% balance transfer on Disco and put small+/- $300 spend on the card. Payments range from $500-$700 each month. While I do pay off the small spend in full each month so that no interest accrued, I've carried a balance from the transfers over the past two months. Once I pay off the 0% balance transfer ($1,000/month payments) over 6 months, I would imagine they might show me love?  Smiley Embarassed 

Decisions, decisions....

Message 15 of 18
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

BIG CONGRATS on the 2nd Discover! I applied and was approved, too, just a few days ago! I have a secured Disco that I applied for in Feb and rec'vd in March of this year. Seems like the 2nd Discover card can be applied for before 6 months? I guess it may depend on a myriad of factors.

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 16 of 18
jb90
Valued Member

Did you get the double cash back offer on the second card? 

Message 17 of 18
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

Yes I did get the cash match offer on the second car
Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.