Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Drive for Five card approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shell Drive for Five card approved

I have started concentrating on keeping my gas costs down (4 cars in the household) so I got a Shell Fuel Rewards card recently for those times that I have no Kroger points.  Today I got an email from SOPUS offering an app for the Shell Drive for Five credit card by Citi.  I figured what the heck, let's see what happens...$500 instant approval.  Per Barclay's FICO, I'm at 703, per AMEX I'm at 682, one late in 2015, $195k household income. 

I buy most of my gas at the Shell station on the corner (great craft beer selection for my wife too) or Kroger's, and with all the skimmers they keep taking about on the local news, I'm hoping to insulate my "real" credit accounts from thieves who seem to like gas stations near interstate highways.  We'll put it to good use. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shell Drive for Five card approved

I almost forgot...around 12 inquiries, depending on what CRA they pulled.

Save $1.25 per gallon on the first fill-up, up to 20 gallons, then 5 cents a gallon flat rate after that.  I figure every little bit helps.

Message 2 of 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats on your new Shell card.  Is the Drive for Five a bankcard or just a shell card?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval. I use my gas cards and then pay in full every month for the same reason.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just a gas card, but apparently it's possible to get cash advances?!?  There was some reference to a different interest rate for cash advances, even worse than the 25.99% for purchases.  I can't fathom ever doing that, so I didn't pay much attention.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, the card arrived, and a separate piece of mail with a PIN...$500 CLI, $75 cash advance limit?!?  Who on earth would actually use a Shell card for a cash advance?  Clearly somebody must...

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, the card arrived, and a separate piece of mail with a PIN...$500 CLI, $75 cash advance limit?!?  Who on earth would actually use a Shell card for a cash advance?  Clearly somebody must...

I was wondering about this years ago and asked on a forum and someone said that's usually for when a gas station's card machines are down so you can get the cash you need to buy your gas, snacks, drinks, etc. Kind of makes sense, I guess, in case you don't have any cash on you and you need gas to make it home or whatever. Would be for emergencies only, I guess.

Message 7 of 12
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I almost forgot...around 12 inquiries, depending on what CRA they pulled.

Save $1.25 per gallon on the first fill-up, up to 20 gallons, then 5 cents a gallon flat rate after that.  I figure every little bit helps.

Congrats on the card but.........you can get 5cents a gallon off Shell Gas simply by signing up for the Fuel Rewards Network.  Synchrony did have a Fuel Reward MC but it is going away next year.  You can also link other credit cards at Fuel Rewards network to earn additional credits for gas.

Message 8 of 12
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a FR card for those times when I have no Kroger points.  I assume the discounts "stack" with the credit card and FR card.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.