Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocked! NFCU CR Approval - Low score, Lots of baddies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shocked! NFCU CR Approval - Low score, Lots of baddies

Thank you so much to all of you that share information in this forum!

Background: I have a lot of charge offs and collections from 2013/2014 almost $50k worth. I was given so many pre-approvals for cards and personal loans and didn't know any better and got in to debt real quick. 

I joined NFCU almost 4 years ago.  In Dec 2018 I decided to start rebuilding my credit so i deposited $500 in to my savings and got a Nrewards because I doubt I would have got approved for any unsecured card (scores were in the low 500's).  I use the card often and pay it down multiple times a month. Received a pre approval for a Capital One Platinum Secured and applied in May 2019 and was approved ($49 for $200 limit)

Last month I discovered myFICO forums and learned so much about PIF, statement cut dates, monitoring apps, etc.  I carried a high balance on both cards because of a vacation in June and it killed my utilization.  So this month I paid them both in full and watched and watched for it to be reflected (statement cut 7/22 & 7/25).  Since I learned on here that NFCU pulls TU I waited til it reported. Cap1 reported on 7/29 Finally NFCU reported today!   My TU went from 562 to 608 (FICO9) 

I pulled the trigger and held my breath as it kept spinning...bam! APPROVED CR $15,000 Smiley Surprised Largest limit I've ever had and I couldn't have done it without you guys!  Thank you!!!  

Felt daring and also apped for Paypal Credit because I use them a lot and got approved for $500 (TU) which is enough for me Smiley Happy  To the garden I go................

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Shocked! NFCU CR Approval - Low score, Lots of baddies

Welcome to the forums, @Anonymous, congrats on your recent approvals, and good luck on your rebuild going forward!

Message 2 of 11
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much to all of you that share information in this forum!

Background: I have a lot of charge offs and collections from 2013/2014 almost $50k worth. I was given so many pre-approvals for cards and personal loans and didn't know any better and got in to debt real quick. 

I joined NFCU almost 4 years ago.  In Dec 2018 I decided to start rebuilding my credit so i deposited $500 in to my savings and got a Nrewards because I doubt I would have got approved for any unsecured card (scores were in the low 500's).  I use the card often and pay it down multiple times a month. Received a pre approval for a Capital One Platinum Secured and applied in May 2019 and was approved ($49 for $200 limit)

Last month I discovered myFICO forums and learned so much about PIF, statement cut dates, monitoring apps, etc.  I carried a high balance on both cards because of a vacation in June and it killed my utilization.  So this month I paid them both in full and watched and watched for it to be reflected (statement cut 7/22 & 7/25).  Since I learned on here that NFCU pulls TU I waited til it reported. Cap1 reported on 7/29 Finally NFCU reported today!   My TU went from 562 to 608 (FICO9) 

I pulled the trigger and held my breath as it kept spinning...bam! APPROVED CR $15,000 Smiley Surprised Largest limit I've ever had and I couldn't have done it without you guys!  Thank you!!!  

Felt daring and also apped for Paypal Credit because I use them a lot and got approved for $500 (TU) which is enough for me Smiley Happy  To the garden I go................

Congratulations and Welcome!  Navy is the bomb and you are definitely on the right track!

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Amazing successSmiley Happy All the bestSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome To myFICO Forums and

Message 5 of 11
Aim_High
Super Contributor

shocked_2.jpg

W O W !!!   A W E S O M E !!!

C O N G R A T S !!!  Smiley Very Happy

I haven't dealt with them (yet) but NFCU continue to impress me!

As a veteran, it would be a sweet deal. 

I discovered they even have local branches in my area.

They have some great cards and seem very customer-friendly.

Welcome to My Fico Forums and keep up the great work!   

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Awesome, congrats on the two new cards and massive SL with Navy!

Message 7 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on the new card Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrts on the new nfcu card and pp credit approval. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your NFCU cashRewards approval and monster SL! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.