Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking AMEX Approval Spree!!

tag
Mav2246

Shocking AMEX Approval Spree!!

Hi Everyone,

I made a post on here not too long ago detailing my CSP reconsideration attempts/asked for suggestions. Long story short did not get approved. My intent was to garden, but me being me, that didn't last long. 

I was disciplined enough to wait to hop on the AMEX train until I got targeted for a 100k or 125k SUB for the Platinum. Low and behold, I started seeing the 100k + 10x on gas/groceries. I couldn't help myself and applied.

Instant approval. I was kinda shocked even then. Pulled Experian (724). I don't think I was preapproved.

I completed the SUB after a month or so and decided I needed the AMEX Gold too. So I applied.

Instant Approval. Soft pull Experian (724 on 1/20). Didn't check for any preapprovals.

At this point I am ecstatic. Even though the charge cards are a little easier to get, I never thought AMEX would give me the Gold and Platinum so close together. However, I knew I wouldn't be able to rest until I had the trifecta. I pulled up the BBP application (I'm in real estate) to check for SUB. Nothing. I checked for preapproval for similar personal cards. I was preapproved for everything ED, EDP, Green Card, etc. So I choose a 10k referral link and applied.

Instant Approval. Soft pull Experian (724 on 1/20). Not only was I approved, but l guess by a pretty wide margin. I got a 9k SL. I know that isn't huge compared to most people on this forum, but for me, that was way more than I ever expected. I mean they gave me an SL over 4x my highest current limit!

Now, with the Trifecta, I feel I can finally garden! What do you guys think? Am I lucky? Do they just like my profile? How?!

General Info:

Income: 40k (Ik not very high but hey I'm 22...)

No baddies like missed or late payments or anything

Autopay for every account

Never carry a balance

Utilization <10% always

Card Info:

FNBO Secured- Opened June 2019 w/ 400 CL (now unsecured)

Discover IT- Opened August 2020 w/ 2k SL 

Chase Freedom Flex- Opened October 2020 w/ 500 SL (Just got a 500 CLI 2/15)

AMEX Platinum- Opened December 2020 (Pay overtime limit like 10k? I forget)

AMEX Gold- Opened February 2021 (Pay over time limit 15k)

AMEX BBP- Opened February 2021 w/ 9k SL

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Shocking AMEX Approval Spree!!

Congratulations on your Amex approvals!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 2 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty good run on Amex, grats on all and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 4 of 20
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your Amx approvals!!

Message 5 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!
Message 6 of 20
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals

Message 7 of 20
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Wow, you hit em pretty good! 

Nice AMEX run with a sweet SUB! 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 8 of 20
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the forum and congrats on managing your finances well enough to get approved for all those exciting cards!

But please be careful. The AFs for the two charge cards are taking 2% of your income. That's really high. We all love to get approvals, and post about them, and collect big SUBs. But controlling spending is the less exciting key to financial well-being and many of us, including me, have struggled with that.

I hope you will use your business skills to critically analyze whether you are getting a good return on your AF spend, over time.

Message 9 of 20
Mav2246

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on managing your finances well enough to get approved for all those exciting cards!

But please be careful. The AFs for the two charge cards are taking 2% of your income. That's really high. We all love to get approvals, and post about them, and collect big SUBs. But controlling spending is the less exciting key to financial well-being and many of us, including me, have struggled with that.

I hope you will use your business skills to critically analyze whether you are getting a good return on your AF spend, over time.

I know what you mean. I actually plan on closing my Plat after paying the next annual fee and getting a refund. I will then open a Schwab Plat when I can justify having one.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.