cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I take the 100,000 Amex Platinum offer I got? - Update: Approved

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I take the 100,000 Amex Platinum offer I got?

@Anonymous wrote:

Just something to keep in mind. At least to my knowledge the highest offer for the Gold is 50k.

So to make up the 50k difference between Gold and Plat you would have to spend $12,500 on the highest earning categories (Restaurants and Supermarkets).

50,000 points / 4 points per dollar = $12,500 

This would be just to match the offer. If you spend that much on food/supermarkets and don't ever book flights/hotels. Than go for the Gold. But if travel is an important part of your spend, then prehaps get the Plat, keep it for a year or two, then close it and wait to apply for the Gold. 

The Gold Card, like Platinum, has some great targeted offers.  The highest I've seen is 75K..  Given some of the solid advice further upthread, I would personally take the 100K unicorn to the land of rainbows 🌈 🦄

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I noticed you have the Everyday card (presuming the no AF verision). Therefore the Gold will make this card completely obsolute (4% vs 2%) and force you to consider closing a card you just opened anyway.

Good point, but I do think there is still a market for the ED (the people who don’t want an AF and like having a revolver).

The average consumer, don’t think like we do in terms of rewards, points etc. 

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Ended up getting up taking Amex up on the Platinum offer and approved last night. Since I’m not really into churning I felt it made the most sense to get this enjoy the benefits for a year and then maybe consider product changing to the Gold in a year or 2.
Message 13 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Ended up getting up taking Amex up on the Platinum offer and approved last night. Since I’m not really into churning I felt it made the most sense to get this enjoy the benefits for a year and then maybe consider product changing to the Gold in a year or 2.

Congrats.

If you can use all their credit get gold for 50k SUB for a nice Amex combo net AF of $80 (800-200 uber-300 airline-100 Saks-120 dining CF, SS).  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.