Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somehow approved for Capital One Walmart Rewards & Citi Rewards + today

tag
cr101
Established Contributor

Somehow approved for Capital One Walmart Rewards & Citi Rewards + today

TLDR: Credit improved a bit, so I went on an app spree after being declined by BoA about 2 weeks ago. On Thursday, I was approved for the following cards:

$500 Cap1 Walmart

$3600 Citi Rewards+

$1,000 Barclays

$1,000 AMEX/Delta Skymiles

declined for BBT

Lonnng, detailed version LOL

I've been doing the secured card thing for a few years. After Capital One gave me a random, big CLI last month and gave me the ability to PC one of my secured to an unsecured, I was interested in seeing if I was able to get unsecured cards with other creditors. BoA declined me for their Cash Rewards card about 2 weeks ago. Understandable. Student loans defaulted and are still on my report. I was still curious about Chase and Citi. But...I was scared of hard inquiries. Today, I got tired of thinking "could I get approved?? But, what if I'm declined and I'm stuck with hard inquiries??" and just decided to continue applying.

Today, I got $500 from C1/Walmart.

Later, I applied for Citi and Chase. I figured I'd apply for Citi first bc they had a preapproved offer for me and Chase didn't. Then, I'd try to trick Chase's 5/24 check by clicking their submit button right after clicking Citi's submit button LOL. Didn't work. Chase declined me. But, I got $3,600 for Citi's card.

Decided to press my luck and apply for another of the cards that Citi suggested. Was declined (called recon and they told me that you can't have multiple apps in the same day, and he reassured me that they don't do credit inquiries on these subsequent apps)...The best part is that there's no interest for the first 15 months--so, I can actually let the balance roll over without paying crazy interest rates if I wanted to. My first world problem is that this Citi card offers lower cash back rewards than my other cards Smiley Sad (sarcasm)

Additional DP for those interested: 2nd Citi card that I applied for=Simplicity. Chase Card that I applied for=Slate.

I have 2 Capital One cards. Capital One confirmed with me today that their partner cards, like WalMart, don't count towards their card limit.

Equifax score=648 after C1 checked it for WM card. TU=678

EDIT: I later got approved for $1,000 at Barclay's. I accidentally left off a zero on my app and was denied. Thanks to these forums, I was able to recon. I was just honest and explained the student debt and why I hadn't hard cards until recently. She was so nice.

I also go $1,000 AMEX/Delta Skymiles (the gold one).

Heard good things about BBT on here, but got declined. That was my last app. I've applied for every card that I want and will just try CLI, but not for months.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Somehow approved for Capital One Walmart Rewards & Citi Rewards + today

Congratulations 🎉
Now it’s a good time to garden and work on your defaults.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!
I saw you mentioned that your loans have defaulted. Federal? If so, there are quite a few options that may help you out. The loans never go away. Let me know if you'd like for me to explain them or you can post on the student loan board.
Good luck!
Message 4 of 13
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!! 

Two is better then one :-)

Hope you have continued success,

Cheers

Message 5 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on being "Somehow approved"Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals!! Now let your new credit age in the garden
Message 7 of 13
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congratulations On Your Approvals.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 8 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats and Congrats !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 13
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approvals!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.