Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sportman's Guide Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sportman's Guide Visa

Last week, I posted about an app spree that included me using the SCT to get the Sportman's Guide Visa. Roughly $1,500 was put in the shopping cart and after the pop up appeared, I applied for it and it stated that my credit limit was $1,000. I left well enough alone and exited the site. Yesterday, the card arrived and after glancing at the paperwork, I realized that the CL was $2,000. For what it's worth, I did immediately cancel 4 other SCT store cards (all non-Visa) that had a total combined CL of $1,100. What I'm unsure about is if the initial $1,000 CL was really going to be $2,000 no matter what, if they raised it due to the original $1,500 worth of items in my shopping cart, or if it was raised due to me cancelling the other store cards? That's to say, I wonder if they just sort of transferred my cancelled cards CL to the Sportman's Guide Visa? Also, this is my first Visa obtained through the SCT if anyone uses this as a data point. Either way, I'm satisfied with it and figured I'd add this to the forum.

6 REPLIES 6
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Sportman's Guide Visa

First off, congrats on snagging the SGV card. Ive had it in my wallet for a few years now.

As for your question, quite a few issuers ( both bankcard and retail issuers ) will open the account with a smaller SL This is to allow the cardmember to use the account immediately. Once you receive the card in the mail and activate it, your "true" CL appears. This helps protect the bank and you from possible fraud. IMO your closing of the store cards had no impact on your current $2k limit  Having both bankcards and store cards with Comenity Bnk is another subject

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks and that makes sense from a security standpoint. On a different note, if you dont mind me asking, what was your starting CL and how high have you gotten it to? Also, if you did get any CLI, were they automatic or did you request them?

Message 3 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

SL was $2000

Your first CLI is normally at 6 months and then every 4 months after that

Current CL is $4750 with next CLI request set for next month

All increases were SP initiated by me

I dont put alot of spend on this card, maybe $50 a month.

Hope that helps

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, that gives me an idea of what I could expect. At least with this card, I see where I could also put a few bucks on the card and not have to search for something that I like compared to a few of the other SCT cards that I no longer have. I know that it’s kind of cliche now, but I think that I’ll be gardening for a while and not getting anymore Comenity cards (Overstock and SGV only). Now that I know better about the 5/24 rule, I want to get in with Chase.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job! I have tried several times to get that to pop on the SCT but never have
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, as some other people have posted similar situations, Comenity decided to close my Sportsman's Guide Visa shortly after it was opened. I had received the card and also had notifications stating the account was closed, so I was initially confused. As another data point, I also had multiple Comenity store cards at the time, but called myself being proactive and closing most of them on my own and leaving only the Overstock card opened due to a CLI that I had received around the same time. The SGV was my first and only Comenity Visa, so I'm thinking that I probably should have just stayed on one side with them and not ventured into new territory as I had no issues at all with the store cards. The letter that I received in the mail stated that it was closed due to "too many inquiries." I also sent a secure message through my account and the response that I received said that the "computer picks things up and the account couldn't be reopened, but that I could reapply in the future." So, yeah, about that! At any rate, other than somewhat being buzz kill, I was somewhat bummed about closing my J. Crew store card because I've recently seen posts about it being a card that can get fairly high limits. I've since been able to get a couple of new store cards that I'll put in their own post so others can find them.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.