Did you mean: 

Starter card for daughter - Update: Discover Student Approved

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Starter card for daughter

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe a secured Discover? Most posts say their graduation autoCLI is very good.

I second this. If you think card network acceptability will be an issue then a Capital One secured if not both cards.

Message 11 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Thanks I appreciate all the advice, I am thinking she may still qualify for a non secured card though?  I know we all started somewhere and I never had to go the secured route,  not that there is anything wrong with that.  I hope you understand what I mean lol

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 12 of 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Thanks I appreciate all the advice, I am thinking she may still qualify for a non secured card though?  I know we all started somewhere and I never had to go the secured route,  not that there is anything wrong with that.  I hope you understand what I mean lol

Thing is she has a thin file to begin with and with the medical collection on there does not make a good combination. Seeing your signature of cards if your daughter has NFCU membership I would try them they can be surprisingly generous. In general though you just both have to discuss what cards you're willing to gamble when using HPs in general.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issuers usually are pretty flex when it comes to student cards. I believe she will get an easy approval with a boa student card as long as they don't pull EQ. If you want to try amex try for the everyday card since its the easier one to get afaik.

If she wants the card just so she can have something reporting under her name don't bother thinking about inquiries. And i don't mean go wild and apply for everything, just apply for another 2-3 cards that have the theoretical best odds to get and if not go for a secured. Inquiries create problems if you plan to apply for additional credit within the next year which isn't the case here i believe.

Message 14 of 18
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

In my experience. BOA pulls Experian.

I agree with debit though, especially about the hard pulls. While I agree the less HP the better, don’t worry so much about them since she won’t be doing anything major with her credit for atleast a couple years.

Having positive tradelines reporting is far more important then taking 2-4 HP.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 15 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Update completely off EQ😆😆😆😆

Discover is now only offering secured not sure if they are looking at old report since it says we have kept your information verbage,  so I think she is going to try for BOA.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 16 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

UPDATE

Since her EQ is now free and clear she applied for discover it student card. Instantly approved 1250SLSmiley Happy.  That is higher than my starting limit 😂

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding her to your accounts as AU will help her out. My sis, 19 at the time, she did not have anything so I added her as AU on my cards, BOA, CAP1, Disco, Amex, and she ended up getting, and has 750+ Fico8 score. She will be turning 21 at the end of Sept this year and that is when I will have her apply for her own cards.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.