cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped out of the garden and into the good karma.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stepped out of the garden and into the good karma.

So in the past week, I sort of sneakfooted out of the garden, where I've been patiently waiting for the right moment to pounce. 

I guess I picked the right moment.

For background, and I've posted this before.  I started this journey in September 2015, mid-to-high 500s, mostly dated charge-offs and collections. It was just the right time to clean up, because it coincided with stuff falling off.  A good time to rebuild, not that there's ever a bad time.  A good time to have an easy time of rebuilding, I'll say.  I've worked hard, cleared some things early, accumulated no lates or other derogs, and here I am nearly 2 years into a rebuild, gone from $5K available to over $60K.

This week's wins, and reasoning behind them:

I've had the AmEx HHonors card for a while, and it's been helpful.  I travel for work and for fun, and am brand-loyal to Hilton.  Gotten several free nights out of them.  Amex has been stingy with the CLIs, but that's fine, I bide my time.  This week I pulled the trigger on the AmEx BCE, for the rewards, and successfully upgraded my HHonors to Surpass, which gets me 75,000 points and Gold status.  Perfect timing, because I've got 12 nights booked over the next three months. 

The other score was the Citi Costco Anywhere.  Again, for the rewards.  We use Costco quite a bit. Last time I applied was maybe six months ago, cold, denied.  I read somewhere that prequals have better luck than cold, with the same qualifications, so I ran through the prequal, and what do you know, it looked good.  So I took a chance, plugged in my Costco membership number, and lo...  They gave me my new highest limit, 7K.  My current scores are in my signature if you're curious.

That's a good set of wins, and I'm back to the garden for a while.  Maybe when the packet comes I'll check out the BT options in Citi.  I think it said 7 mos 0% APR.  That could help consolidate a few smaller balance cards and sockdrawer them for a while.

As always, thanks to this site for inspiration, information and instruction.  Never stop stepping up your game.  Never consider yourself "done." As they say in AA, keep coming back.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stepped out of the garden and into the good karma.

Congrats on your upgrade and Costco approval! 

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good job on getting Costco and upgrading. Great to get things we actually need and useSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So in the past week, I sort of sneakfooted out of the garden, where I've been patiently waiting for the right moment to pounce. 

I guess I picked the right moment.

For background, and I've posted this before.  I started this journey in September 2015, mid-to-high 500s, mostly dated charge-offs and collections. It was just the right time to clean up, because it coincided with stuff falling off.  A good time to rebuild, not that there's ever a bad time.  A good time to have an easy time of rebuilding, I'll say.  I've worked hard, cleared some things early, accumulated no lates or other derogs, and here I am nearly 2 years into a rebuild, gone from $5K available to over $60K.

This week's wins, and reasoning behind them:

I've had the AmEx HHonors card for a while, and it's been helpful.  I travel for work and for fun, and am brand-loyal to Hilton.  Gotten several free nights out of them.  Amex has been stingy with the CLIs, but that's fine, I bide my time.  This week I pulled the trigger on the AmEx BCE, for the rewards, and successfully upgraded my HHonors to Surpass, which gets me 75,000 points and Gold status.  Perfect timing, because I've got 12 nights booked over the next three months. 

The other score was the Citi Costco Anywhere.  Again, for the rewards.  We use Costco quite a bit. Last time I applied was maybe six months ago, cold, denied.  I read somewhere that prequals have better luck than cold, with the same qualifications, so I ran through the prequal, and what do you know, it looked good.  So I took a chance, plugged in my Costco membership number, and lo...  They gave me my new highest limit, 7K.  My current scores are in my signature if you're curious.

That's a good set of wins, and I'm back to the garden for a while.  Maybe when the packet comes I'll check out the BT options in Citi.  I think it said 7 mos 0% APR.  That could help consolidate a few smaller balance cards and sockdrawer them for a while.

As always, thanks to this site for inspiration, information and instruction.  Never stop stepping up your game.  Never consider yourself "done." As they say in AA, keep coming back.

What is the point of going to the garden if you won't stay there? Just curious.... 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

What is the point of going to the garden if you won't stay there? Just curious.... 

I garden while the dust settles from previous growth activity, and come out of the garden when I feel there's an opportunity for further growth at little cost, in terms of points and inquiries.  I garden to let previous inquiries age out, and let the scores get higher so that I can obtain better approvals and CLIs.  Isn't that the whole purpose of the garden, to not generate inquiries and diminish scores for a while?  What is a garden without the occasional harvest?

One brief break from the garden after some months, and get two new cards that fit my needs well, a handsome CL on one of them, and an upgraded status on a third.  All for one or two inquiries.

Seems to be working anyway.  Back into the garden I go, quietly cultivating those soft pull CLIs.

Message 5 of 9
BPebbles
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the AmEx upgrade and the new Citi Card!!

Message 6 of 9
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I garden while the dust settles from previous growth activity, and come out of the garden when I feel there's an opportunity for further growth at little cost, in terms of points and inquiries.  I garden to let previous inquiries age out, and let the scores get higher so that I can obtain better approvals and CLIs.  Isn't that the whole purpose of the garden, to not generate inquiries and diminish scores for a while?  What is a garden without the occasional harvest?

One brief break from the garden after some months, and get two new cards that fit my needs well, a handsome CL on one of them, and an upgraded status on a third.  All for one or two inquiries.

Seems to be working anyway.  Back into the garden I go, quietly cultivating those soft pull CLIs.

It is a good way to say :-)

My last activity is 5 months ago.  Then I took a break and enjoy our bonus with the new spending.  I do not really follow the "garden" thread, so there is no limit.

I just saw another card that fits my needs really well.  I applied and and received a good bunus.  I'm not limtied by anything, but self-disciplines.

Enjoy your new card...

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, SeveredFinger! Nice upgrade and approval! ☺
Message 8 of 9
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats! 🤸🏼‍♀️
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.