Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Story) Chase Freedom Unlimited Unexpected Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

(Story) Chase Freedom Unlimited Unexpected Approval

From what I have seen and read in my credit research is that Chase is difficult. So for those of you beginning the journey here is my story of garnering my first Chase credit card.

This post is a little late, but here it goes nonetheless. I became am an authorized user on my father’s 2001-approved Chase Freedom Card, before my Discover application (mentioned later), in 2017 after somehow finding Ask Sebby and The Credit Shifu on YouTube. On a side-note, I also began to bank with chase in 2018; and was taught in a High School Dave Ramsey based finance class that credit cards were bad. Ask Sebby and The Credit Shifu demonstrated otherwise. I was left to learn myself because no one in my family had or did not trust/understand credit (cards).

I officially started the credit journey on January 16th, 2018 with my application for the Discover it Secured Card with a $200 deposit at the age of 18; the card (7 months) later became unsecured with $2500 limit. Throughout the year, I applied for the American Express EveryDay Card on July 21st, 2018 ($1000). Even later was the American Express Premier Rewards Card on September 25th, 2018 (NPSL), unknowingly before the revamp, so waived annual fee the first year - lucky me.

I applied for the Slate Card to get my foot in the door with Chase on June 13th and to no avail was denied. I thought okay maybe next month (July 14th) and denied. Again, surely 7 months was long enough, but denied again. Finally, after the 3rd denial, I decided to wait until 6 months after the American Express EveryDay Card. Fast forward 4 months to Christmas Day or the Christmas Eve party that lasted until Christmas morning. I decided to apply for the Chase Freedom Unlimited Card to try my luck; it had been awhile, so why not? I thought. I expected a denial with my mediocre 750ish Experian credit score. To my surprise I was approved with a $1500 spending limit.

If you have had a bumpy ride so far, keep going. It gets better. Learn from my failures and successes. Do not give up. A surprise might just come the next application, day, or month.

Other information: I still live at home and am matriculating, so my family’s spending is on the cards. No late payments. Me and my family also pay the cards in full at the end of the month - mostly each week.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: (Story) Chase Freedom Unlimited Unexpected Approval

Congrats on the approval. I would garden for a few months (6M to be safe) to get some history. For a thin file, it's generally recommended to go slow and steady.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 11
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

April 2024: Experian 769; Equifax 779; Transunion 781

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 10/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (1) Trans: (0) Equif: (0)

Message 3 of 11
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Four solid cards you have there. A good foundation to start out on the right path building your credit.
My advice, no more apping, head to the garden for a year, though you should request CLI's as they become available.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 4 of 11
DapprD
Regular Contributor

If you don't mind, how many inquiries did you have when you were approved?

Thanks

Starting Score: 567
Current Score: 739
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Congrats!

I was raised in a similar fashion (if you don't have the cash to pay for something, you can't afford it), so I'm getting a very, very late start on my credit building and I'm regretting it to a certain point (it taught me a lot about saving, though). Going to pull the trigger next week on my first prime card after having a few store cards for a couple years and it's stories like this that help ease the nerves! 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a total of 4 hard inquiries.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Chase Freedom Unlimited approval! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the success and new FU card!

Message 9 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.