Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Amex HH approval.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange Amex HH approval.

I just stepped out of the 8 month garden for the Hilton Honors Amex Card. It would be my 2nd card with American Express. I dont have any clue on what my credit limit is or what my APR is yet. I know Nada. Zilch. Nothing, besides that I was approved.

I apped for my first Amex a year ago. In this year, I didnt get any increases. I've tried twice and both times I was denied due to "short account history". Oddly enough though i had prequalifications with them on almost every card the entire time but I couldn't get that 3x increase I was working on getting with them.

Yesterday, when planning my vacation. I decided to app for the Hilton Honors card. I checked and I was pre- qualified. I was going to wait a few more months but I after thinking about it, I can start racking up the rewards with this upcoming vacation so I bit the bullet early. I applied and I got the typical "Congratulations, you've been approved" pop up screen. Then, the next screen popped up asking if I wanted my card number now, I click yes, and then it churns over and over and over again. I got nervous. I thought my computer had frozen up because it went on for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally, a page pops up.
"Were sorry, our systems are not responding at this time. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with your card number and credit limit right now. While you await your new card, we will award you $60 in the form of a statement credit. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please call 1-800-348-6103. You will receive this statement credit within 8 - 12 weeks."

Of course, I called the provided number. I just wanted to make sure that i didnt have to do anything besides "wait" like they asked me to do. Lol. Yes, I am impatient, Amex! I asked if they could tell me anything at all about the approval and the CSR said i was definitely approved but there's no other information at the moment and that I need to wait for the card to come in the mail. On behalf of American Express, he apologized and explained the statement credit was given to me for the error. So, yep, just wait! I thought since I'm an Amex card holder already, it would be on my account page but I would have to activate the card first. When I get more information, I'll definitely post it. As for now, it looks like Amex is testing my patience.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Strange Amex HH approval.

Congrats on you're approval, If it were Me, I'd call again and ask to have the Card Added to your current log on screen.

I had this happen once, and they added it. I could then see it.

Message 2 of 14
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congratulations-Glitter-.gif

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

M _Smart I did not know I can do that. Thanks for the advice.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex Hilton Honors approval! I would gladly take the $60 for waiting a couple extra days to get the number. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 14
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Congrats on you're approval, If it were Me, I'd call again and ask to have the Card Added to your current log on screen.

I had this happen once, and they added it. I could then see it.

Congrats OP on your approval Smiley Happy and thank you @M_Smart007 for your information. I also just got approved for this same card and called in not long ago and had them add it to my Amex web account.   Smiley Happy

“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with Steve, I've been looking at it the same way. 60 free buckaroos...I'll take it!!!
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to call in tomorrow morning and see if they will put it on my log on screen. If not, I can wait. I think last time I got my card within in a week.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Amex today and the customer rep that I got on the phone said that I needed the actual cc acct number to have them put it on my log on screen. I really thought that would have worked.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The exact same thing happen to me.  I've had the AMEX BC since 10/2018 with $500 SL.  They will not increase my limit on this card at all, always stating because of my credit score.  When in fact, my EX credit score was lower when approved.  I got the pre-approval pop-up when logging in for the AMEX Platinum on 06/20/19.  I decided to app for the AMEX HH.  I was too approved, went through the prompts and got the never ending spinning wheel.  I got the error after refreshing, but no statement credit.  I was able to call to get my SL, which is $1,000.  But they could not give me my card number, I had to wait until I received it, which was yesterday.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.