Strangest Discover CLI process

tag
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Strangest Discover CLI process

So to start with, I have 2 Discover cards
Card 1 $34,500 just over 5 years old
Card 2 $15,600 just under 2 years old
I have not requested an increase on either in a long time as I don't really need more credit.
Yesterday I was logged in to pay the bill and decided to see if I was at the max total credit limit relative to my income so requested an increase on both cards. Both card came back immediately with the 2 day message. In the past I have had good luck with the 2 day message (~70% of the time a cli shows up on the account).
This morning I checked the app and credit lines were still the same so I shrugged and told myself it is still early.
About noon today I get a call from discover about the cli on card 1. Lady tells me that I am approved for an increase to $36,000 and if that is not enough she can move some over from my other card. I politely tell her $36,000 is fine and I would like to keep the 2 cards separate; call ends with the normal polite good day wishes.
While I was on that call I received a second call from discover who left a voice mail asking me to call them. Today was rather busy so I just now got a chance to call them back. The guy puts me on hold to check for the reason I was called. When he comes back on the line he says "regarding the credit limit increase you made on your card, I see you are approved for a new limit of $20,500, if that is not enough I can move some of the limit from your other card over to this one". I declined the offer of moving limits around and tell him that the $20,500 is fine.
Now I have never gotten a call from discover about cli before and had not heard of anyone being offered the ability to move credit lines without resulting in closure of one of the cards so I thought I would share this new experience.
Has anyone else ever had this happen?
Oh and for the record
New total credit with Discover: $56,500
Reported income: $85,000
Percentage of Discover credit limits relative to income: 66.47%
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Strangest Discover CLI process

I haven’t had either of those things happen. But congrats on the good increases!!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 12
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the CLIs! I can't answer your questions about Discover's processes, but just wanted to add that those cards have some impressive heft.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

They get a little handsy with limits above 50K.  of course 2 cards with an aggregate around there would elicit this type of response as well.  I'm kind of surprised they didn't ask for POI for the extra couple of bucks in CL.  

Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This is what happens when you are part of the upper echelon of DiscoverSmiley Wink. We lower beings are handled by the 'puterSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit they must be a high priest or priestess at the temple of disco.

Message 6 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol @Brian_Earl_Spilner. this is perhaps their Indeed job offersSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@AJC  LOL.  Forget the phone call, Id be happy if the computer gave me more than $500

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Meanmchine, it only took me 3 cards, 3 years plus to get one cli above $500Smiley Wink Only time will tell if i broke the streak or revert back to my Special waysSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

I think last time I requested a CLI from discover they countered with $1.50 or so...na, it was really 200, but I said don't bother. If you seldom use their card they are like that.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.